Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2009 04:00

Unable to install Vista, but can install Ubuntu

Hi,

The HDD on my Dimention 5000 recently died on me. Since I was able to run Ubuntu live on the computer I assumed the HDD was the only component that died, so I just bought a new HDD. I have a Windows Vista Ultimate CD, so I figured that I could just install vista on the Dimention 5000. But when I tried to install it, I got an errormsg

"Selected boot device not available -
Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

When I tried to install Ubuntu from my live CD, it worked without any problems at all.

Does anyone know about any reasons why I can install Ubuntu, but can't even access the Windows CD? (The Windows CD is not broken, I used it the other day, and there are no scratches in it)

Any help would be appreciated :)

Sindre

• 

16.7K Posts

September 10th, 2009 06:00

Spirrevipp,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The Ubuntu Live CD is running from the cd and is not installed on the harddrive. Check to make sure that the hard drive you installed is connected on the end of the data cable and is connected to the Primary Controller on the motherboard,  You will then need to boot to the windows disk and first partiton the drive if not already done. Once it is partitioned you can format the drive then install Windows.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 10th, 2009 07:00

There is also an issue of the hard drive if Linux is installed and you want to install Windows.  See THIS Microsoft article.

6 Posts

September 10th, 2009 15:00

Thank you for replying.

Linux is installed on the HDD. At least I can run it without any CD in the DVD player. So the HDD is properly connected to the rest of the computer.

And I had the same problem before and after I installed Linux.

It is like the DVD-player sees the linux CD, but the DVD player disappear when I insert the Windows CD.

Sindre

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 10th, 2009 17:00

I've seen this problem before.  I don't remember what the fix is, but the first thing to do is reset the BIOS as I remember that is one potential fix. 

HERE is the Dell instructions on "clearing the CMOS" for the Dimension 5000.

6 Posts

September 11th, 2009 01:00

I tried to clear the CMOS, but still the same problem :(

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 11th, 2009 04:00

It just dawned on me.  Vista is a DVD.  If the drive you have is only a CD reader that is why it does not detect the disc.  The Linux you have is on a CD and thus will read.

6 Posts

September 11th, 2009 11:00

Haha! That would be true! I just assumed it was a DVD player, but it was in fact a CD reader only. I feel stupid >.<

Anyway, thank you very much for the help :)

Sindre

No Events found!