Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2008 20:00

Unable to read CDRom clip art disks - graphicsdesk.exe

Hi

I have many Hemera type clipart disks that I have always been able to read from my CDROM. Now I get "abnormal program termination error"  when I try to access them through clicking on the clipart icon  (uses graphicsdesk.exe )

I have a Windows XP Media Center Edition using Service Pack 3.

I am able to install the clip art programs from the CDRom and I have un/re-installed these programs to no avail. 

One new thing I did was bring up  the Media stuff to see what it was.  Has this taken over my CDROM access?

I changed the CDROM preferences to 'ask me'  upon each media type - but no help

Thank you for any info about this problem

Sally

12.7K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 20:00

"abnormal program termination error"

this is a program error for graphicsdesk.exe.         It is not a cdrom access problem.

When did this start happening? after you installed SP3 by chance?

Do you have any other CD based programs installed? Do they work properly?

3 Posts

July 24th, 2008 01:00

Hello

No - I upgraded to Service Pack 3 thinking it might help.  I dont have any other CD based programs but I have seen postings on the net about being unable to read gaming disks.

Thanks for your response

Sally

12.7K Posts

July 24th, 2008 02:00

Are these older CD's, from the windows 98 or millenium days?

If they are, right click on the graphicsdesk.exe in the program folder (not the shortcut) and select properties, then compatibility Tab, tick the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"  then select the OS the program was designed for, if there is a "run as administrator" box, tick that also, then hit OK.  Now try the program.

If this gives no results the only thing I can suggest is to replace the cdrom, see if you get the same error. It is rare that these errors are related to hardware, they are usually programming errors on the part of the program itself, or incompatibility with the Operating System, but it is the only thing I can suggest at this point.

3 Posts

July 24th, 2008 04:00

Hi

I've tried the compatability thing but it doesn't help. I dont think it is a hardware problem but I'm wondering if there is some Media auto play protocol that is not being met by GraphicsDesk.exe or whether there is some "Security" updates that have interfered ... sigh....

Sally

No Events found!