Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2009 09:00

Unable to start iTunes after sleep or hibernate (WinXP)

Hello,

I am experiencing this strange problem on my Dell Latitude E4300 with Windows XP SP3.

Whenever I perform a sleep or hibernate cycle after a session of iTunes, it is no longer possible to start up iTunes. In the Task manager, there is a process called "itunes.exe", but the user interface for the program does not come up. Also, iTunes does not come up in the list of running applications. It doesn't matter whether i close iTunes or not before the sleep cycle.

Moreover, after the sleep cycle and the attempt to restart iTunes, it is no longer possible to shut down the PC, apparently because the process itunes.exe cannot be stopped. Only a hard shutdown (8 seconds power switch) does the trick. After restarting, iTunes works again, until the next time the laptop is put into sleep or hibernate mode.

I first noticed this with iTunes 7.5, then reinstalled this version (repair install)  without any improvement, then upgraded to the latest version (8.2.1), again with no improvement.

Anyone with the same problem, or better still with a solution?

36 Posts

November 29th, 2009 14:00

Just wanted to let you all know the problem seems to be solved in iTunes version 9.02...

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 14:00

I don't have itunes, but  it looks as if itunes did not shut down properly. You could try, in task mamager, process tab, right click on itunes.exe click end process. Then see if you can start itunes again and/or shut down properly.

Of course that is not really a fix, more a workaround.

36 Posts

August 7th, 2009 04:00

Thanks for your reply.

Your suggestion is exactly what I had tried first, but it is not possible to kill the itunes.exe process using the task manager. It just stays there. I also tried to kill the process using sysinternals' process explorer, also without success, and even with the DOS command taskkill /f

In Process explorer, I can see that the itunes.exe process has a thread that is in the "wait:executive" state. It is this thread that refuses to terminate.

In other forums on the internet, I found that this means the thread is waiting for a kernel response and therefore cannot be stopped. The problem could be due to a driver problem or a hardware problem. It wouldn't be the first driver issue with my E4300...

2.4K Posts

August 7th, 2009 04:00

I would post it on the Apple forum http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=800

36 Posts

October 7th, 2009 04:00

This problem is still not solved. I don't think it is an iTunes problem, since the hanging process thread appears to be in the "Wait: executive" state, which implies a driver or a hardware issue. See for example this related thread on the Microsoft Technet forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/598fe2b4-844d-412d-b195-5fa53dc62661

Anyone else experiencing this problem with iTunes (or any other app) and the Latitude E4300?

36 Posts

December 1st, 2009 05:00

Just wanted to let you all know the problem seems to be solved in iTunes version 9.02...

It seems I was a bit optimistic in my previous post. Indeed, iTunes 9.02 now survives a hibernate or sleep cycle. That is, if iTunes is running while the computer is put to sleep, it will still be running and responsive when the computer is woken. However, now another, similar problem has occurred:

It is no longer possible to restart iTunes.

This means that after (succesfull) closing of iTunes (the process itunes disappears from the task manager), a subsequent start of iTunes does start a process called itunes.exe, but no GUI (graphical user interface) comes up. This process cannot be closed or killed. The laptop can no longer be shut down or restarted without brute force 8 seconds power switch pressing...

36 Posts

December 26th, 2009 14:00

Today I made some progress. It seems that it IS possible to restart iTunes, but only if I press the Shift key during the startup (which causes the "select library" dialog box to appear) and I select another library than in the previous session.

At least I now have a workaround.

No Events found!