Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2017 17:00

Update/Activation problem 8.1

I'll ask my questions first, which might give me the answer I can use to solve my dilemma (activation of 8.1), without burdening anyone with lots of info about my ongoing problem getting 8.1 to not go blue screen shortly after re-install.  I have done 6 or 8 tries at a reinstall.  

Is my factory Dell Win 8.1 disc envelope, with seal on the back and the following sequence, US - ORGH4G -XXXXX - XXX - XXXX, or the  "Product I.D." (4- 5 number groups, from "PC" Info in 8.1) the same as a Key Code?  

For safety, I have a C drive for the OS, with a D internal drive and a USB HDD, for backup.  When installing 8.1, would Windows put info on any of the alternate drives, that, if I changing drive letters to a different letter sequence, might cause problems with 8.1 functioning?  I don't like the default sequence created during installation.

Thanks for any insight someone might have, and I can provide more info about what has been happening, if anyone reads this. Gene 

• 

16.7K Posts

January 20th, 2017 06:00

gene1946,

Do you get an error that the number you inputted was wrong? Which Dell Computer do you have? To install Windows 8.1 you may need to change settings in the bios depending on your computer model. Below is information for installing Windows 8/8.1

Windows 8 Support

http://dell.to/2iJkuPD

No Events found!