Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2007 00:00

Upgrade Crashes at: Completing Upgrade 54%

I've chronicled my dozen or so attempts to upgrade my XPS 600 to Vista ultimate here:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=vista&thread.id=6411&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

After resolving all possible prior problems get to the final stage of install where it says:

COMPLETING UPGRADE: x%

It counts from 0 up to 54% and at EXACTLY 54% the upgrade seems to just stop, the system reboots, the green slider starts sliding (indicating a system startup of some kind) and then NOTHING. 20 minutes or so goes by and the screens go blank.

I can, and have, many times now, rolled back to XP.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong at 54% in the final Completing Upgrade stage?

...DAle

23 Posts

February 3rd, 2007 00:00

I just posted my story with my XPS 700 - very similar problem seems to happen at exactly that time as well.  My version is Home Premium - but, my computer seems to be restarting then the hard drive shuts down and my screen flashes the message "Entering Power Save"

Good luck - please post a message if you resolve your problem.

Thanks

CMN

527 Posts

February 3rd, 2007 02:00

Dajad wrote:
I've chronicled my dozen or so attempts to upgrade my XPS 600 to Vista ultimate here:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=vista&thread.id=6411&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

After resolving all possible prior problems get to the final stage of install where it says:

COMPLETING UPGRADE: x%

It counts from 0 up to 54% and at EXACTLY 54% the upgrade seems to just stop, the system reboots, the green slider starts sliding (indicating a system startup of some kind) and then NOTHING. 20 minutes or so goes by and the screens go blank.

I can, and have, many times now, rolled back to XP.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong at 54% in the final Completing Upgrade stage?

...DAle

I hope you have plenty of things to do and lots of coffee while this is completeing. It took me 2 hours and 25 minute to upgrade. When it says several hours at the bottom, it means it!

25 Posts

February 3rd, 2007 03:00

Andrey, I will test your theory tonight.

To get to the 54% point takes about 1.5 hours. The green slider part takes another 20 minutes before the screen goes black. I've sat and waited perhaps another 40 minutes before I gave up. If I read you correctly, you are saying that it may STILL be installing at that point?

If so, the hard drive isn't moving or flashing any more. But, I must say, I've not tried leaving it just sitting like that overnight so its worth a shot I guess.

...Dale

527 Posts

February 3rd, 2007 04:00

Lol people always call me andy. Andreychuk is a canadian name :P

But anyway, yeah leave it sit. I did this overnight. Im not sure why the installation process takes this long. But I was yawning... and stuff. So I let it sit.

25 Posts

February 3rd, 2007 14:00

Well, it's now 11:20 a.m. I started the install process just after midnight. So it's been running for some 11 hours now. I think 11 hours is enough time to test to see if just waiting will result in an install.. ...Dale
No Events found!