Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2004 00:00

Upgrading Windows Media Player on Windows 98SE causing error

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 using Windows 98 SE and Internet Explorer.  I just upgraded to the newest Windows Media Player.  Now when I try and view certain web pages, i.e.trying to check my minutes on my cell phone home page, I am bumped off the Internet.  I checked the error message and it relates to WMPDXM.DLL. 

I really don't need the newer version of Media Player.  Can I get rid of it or fix the problem?

Joy

3K Posts

November 6th, 2004 11:00

It would be helpful to know the complete content of the error message(s) you're receiving, rather than just a file name related to the error message, but you shouldn't have to remove your current media player to resolve this.  In the absence of more details, I'll suggest going to Start - Run, and in the dialog box, type regsvr32 wmpdxm.dll and press the OK button below, which should re-register that dll file on your system, and hopefully resolve the issue.  If it does not, you can try reinstalling the media player using the Setup file which should be in the folder for the application.  If neither of those options works, please post back with the complete contents of any error messages you're receiving.

It would also probably be a good idea to make sure that your Direct X version is current, and if not, update it via Windows Update.  The current version is 9c.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

19 Posts

November 6th, 2004 23:00

Thanks for all the advice.  I tried all three things you suggested, and also reverted back to an earlier version of Media Player.  Now when I go to the Cingular web page, I get to the home page but when I try and access my account, I get either a General Protection Fault KRNL386.EXE at 0000.00000da5 or the last time I tried I got a Fatal OE Exception 0028:6E320000. 

I'm not sure how to proceed now.  I'm lost when it gets past the basics.  I may just have to clean everthing off and reinstall.  I'm having some other problems too, so that may be the way to go, as much as I hate to.  Fortunately, there is good information on how to do that on this site. 

Joy

3K Posts

November 7th, 2004 02:00

When these GPF/KRNL386.exe error messages appear, does the application held to be responsible for them show up in the error message, i.e., "Internet Explorer caused...?"  This is why it's a good idea to list the complete contents of the error messages, so that all the components/potential causes can be identified.

If you recently installed Windows Media Player, and if that's what started all of this, there may be one other thing to try that will be much easier than reinstalling the OS - attempt to restore the registry to a known good version.  See this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221512/EN-US/  I'd choose the oldest available backup version of the registry, and see if that fixes things.

Cingular's site isn't a great one to hold up as a model of perfect web page construction - it's frequently buggy and extremely slow loading for me, on a variety of hardware and operating systems, but it shouldn't be causing you that much grief.  Which version of IE do you have on there?  If 5.5, you should install the most recent version, which, if I'm not mistaken, should be IE 6 SP1, and you should be able to find that at Windows Update.  In any event, you should make sure that you have all Critical Updates installed.

19 Posts

November 8th, 2004 22:00

I'm back in action now--but I had some scarry moments. 

The invaid page fault was in Internet Explorer. 

I followed your suggestions and got into the scanreg.  I only found four entries and three from last year said "not started".  Since the instructions said "a property working registry has the word 'started' in it", that's the one I chose. It was from Dec 2003.  Then the trouble began.  I couldn't get on the Internet, I couldn't open several of my programs.  After several hours of angst, I went back to the registry and chose the most recent one--this spring, even though it said "not started".  Now everything is working again, including the Cingular web page I couldn't access.  The only thing that I can't restore is my Norton Anti-virus. When I try and open it I get a blue and red screen in MS DOS which says "Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database file".  I had disabled it before I began changing the registry.

Also, how do I keep the computer from opening in "safe mode?"

Thanks for your help. 

Hillhopper

3K Posts

November 9th, 2004 12:00

@Hillhopper wrote:
The only thing that I can't restore is my Norton Anti-virus.

A properly functioning AV application is essential, so you're going to want to address this forthwith, particularly if you're connecting to the internet.  It might be helpful to know which version of NAV you're referring to, but you may be able to get things back together by uninstalling and reinstalling NAV - see the product user manual for detailed instructions regarding uninstalling/removing registry entries, or visit Symantec's support site.  If you're running an older version of NAV, the manual's probably going to be your best bet, as they seem to be making it hard for users of older versions to find support documents at the site these days.

Also, how do I keep the computer from opening in "safe mode?"

19 Posts

November 9th, 2004 15:00

I just upgraded this summer to NAV 2004 by a download and fortunately I saved all my account numbers, etc.  I'm now in e-mail contact with Symantec and I trust I can re-install my 2004 AV through another download.

Again, your help has been appreciated. Thanks.

No Events found!