Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

January 6th, 2008 19:00

Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit Why can't I get the Alternative Media Disc?

I'm sure that tons of people have tried to by clicking that link that allows you to upgrade to 64-bit by ordering a CD, but getting the "Offer not available" error. So if I do want to upgrade how can I? Do i have to buy anything? Please include steps to do so.

474 Posts

January 6th, 2008 20:00

if your copy of vista isn't a retail copy, then you are not eligible.  OEM copies do not qualify.

if you want 64-bit vista, you will have to purchase a new copy - most people recommend getting an OEM version, which generally runs for about $100 - $120.

Message Edited by discostu668 on 01-06-2008 04:16 PM

2.7K Posts

January 6th, 2008 22:00

Hi
Dells or any other company's OEM DVD does not have the option of the 64 bit upgrade from Microsoft
it is the Retail versions only that gets the upgrade !!
Yes you have to buy Vista 64 bit
as OEM or Retail and OEM does not have the support ether
when you buy OEM you are the support for it !!
See Yea

2.7K Posts

January 7th, 2008 00:00

Hi
Look there for the Windows Vista Ultimate OEM software ! 
Good Luck

9 Posts

January 7th, 2008 00:00

Got any links for OEM Vista? I'm looking for 64-bit Ultimate preferably. Cheapest I can get is great :smileyhappy:

22 Posts

January 8th, 2008 18:00

It is true that one can't get a media disk for free with OEM licenses. However, the one license you own along with its license key is valid for either 32 or 64 bit Vista, even with OEM licenses.

So, if you can get at a 64 bit Vista installation DVD, you can install the same Vista version you had preinstalled (if you had Home Premium 32 bit, you can install Home Premium 64 bit). For the license key you use the one on your Dell casing, i.e. the one you paid for. No piracy at all, as long as you replace your 32 bit installation.

You have to do a full installation, since you can't do an upgrade installation from 32 bit to 64 bit.

So how does one get at a 64 bit installation DVD? One way is to order the Anytime Upgrade Media DVD, which is 7 Dollars from the Microsoft homepage. Make sure you get the 64 bit version!

The above doesn't really apply if you want to switch versions anyway, say from Home Premium 32 bit to Ultimate 64 bit. First, Anytime Upgrade won't work (as I said: No upgrade installation from 32 to 64 bit, but Anytime is always an upgrade installation). Second, the Anytime upgrade price is about the same as a full OEM license which you can install on a clean system (no need for the base version to already be installed).

Regards, Martin

48 Posts

January 8th, 2008 18:00

Hi this is not a help reply, but a question to a question reply:smileyvery-happy:

Whats the difference between 32bit and 64bit. Is it just the OS not the computer hardware and does it have to do with better video or computer speed?

Sorry I know its a stupid question but I'm still learning software stuff.

Thanks
Rick

2.7K Posts

January 8th, 2008 19:00

It is true that one can't get a media disk for free with OEM licenses. However, the one license you own along with its license key is valid for either 32 or 64 bit Vista, even with OEM licenses.
Hi Martin
Can you confirm that ? 
It is my understanding that a Dell OEM
is not the same as the other OEM version ?
I know the OEM that is on the market has its own 32 bit key
and the 64 bit version has its own 64 bit key and Dell has its own 32 bit key,
so i do not think the Dell key will work on the other OEM DVD,s !
Why do i say that because i have OEM XP Pro 64 bit and Dells XP Pro 32 bit
and the Dell key will not work on the OEM 64 bit !! 

3.3K Posts

Actually, most, if not all new pc's are 64 bit capable(64 bit processors).
Think of it as an information pipeline. One will carry 32 "bits" of information, and one will carry 64"bits"

A bit is binary information. It is either 0 (off) or 1 (on). A 64-bit operating system can move 64 bits of data per clock cycle (1 GHz+ moves billions per second)as a 32 can move 32 bits per cycle.

A 64-bit OS is better than 32-bit because:

- It effectively doubles system capabilities if the system is running a 64-bit processor.
- More information can be sent at one time on a 64-bit system than on a 32-bit system. It's great for data-intensive programs.
- You can run some 32-bit apps on a 64-bit operating system, much like you can run a 16-bit app on Windows XP.

Most software and games are not yet optimised to take advantage of the 64 bit string, but hopefully will be in the near future. Also, be sure that all your periferals have 64 bit drivers before deciding to try it out.

Bronco74777 wrote:
Hi this is not a help reply, but a question to a question reply:smileyvery-happy:

Whats the difference between 32bit and 64bit. Is it just the OS not the computer hardware and does it have to do with better video or computer speed?

Sorry I know its a stupid question but I'm still learning software stuff.

Thanks
Rick

2.7K Posts

Hi Rick
Read the link above it may help you with your 64 bit question !
When i switched to Vista 64 bit the burning software that i had
would not work for 64 bit all other XP type software works just fine .
Most of the time there is a software or driver problem with 64 bit.
First you check to see if all of the drivers are there for your hardware
not just your computer drivers but printers and other stuff !
Then you check to see if your software will work in 64 bit !
in other words do your { {home work}} before you switch over !
Good Luck

22 Posts

January 8th, 2008 20:00

Hello

XP is a lot different: The DVD essentially contained exactly one OS version, e.g. 64 bit OEM Professional. The license key only works with the version/media you got. So I would also expect for a 32 bit license not to work with a 64 bit media in XP. This has nothing to do with Dell.

With Vista, there exist exactly two DVDs: 32 Bit and 64 Bit. Everything else (Home, Ultimate, OEM, Upgrade, Full Retail) is coded into the license key. That's why the license tells you whether you have OEM or retail, or Ultimate or Home, while the DVD tells you if you install 32 bit or 64 bit.

Vista Ultimate Retail contains both 32 and 64 bit DVDs, other Retail Vistas allow you to purchase the "other" DVD for a nominal fee. OEM licenses don't give you the option to purchase the missing DVD online. I guess that's why the myth arose that one has to purchase another license, while all you really need is the 64 bit media.

So far I have never heard or read anywhere that the license also contains 32 or 64 bit restrictions. The (OEM) EULA only tells not to use 32 bit and 64 bit concurrently.

I have on a non-Dell system on OEM Vista Ultimate and recently switched to 64 bit. Because it is an OEM license I had to activate via telephone, but otherwise there was no problem.

Having said all this, I am still waiting for my first Dell system to arrive, so I haven't yet tried to use the Dell license with 64 bit Vista.

159 Posts

March 11th, 2008 04:00

To Tinue - Did you have a chance to try the 64-bit media with the Dell system?  Did it require phone activation?

Just to clarify, the 64-bit Vista anytime upgrade disc will allow you to do a clean install and then you use your 25 character key to activate it??

Thanks

No Events found!