marylandms
1 Nickel

Upgrading to Windows 7

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading from Vista Home Premimum 32bit  to Windows 7?  I have a Dell XPS410.  I'm interested in knowing what I might be in for before I take the plunge.  The email came from MS today about its general availability on May 5.  Thanks,

Marylandms

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Upgrading to Windows 7

Windows 7 (Retail) will not be available until late this year (Maybe October and in time for the Christmas shopping season).  There is a "RC" (Release Candidate) version that will be available to select individuals (not the general public) and what you are referring to. 

However, if your PC runs Vista it will run Windows 7.  Windows 7 is basically Vista with "improvements".

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos

Hi fireberd

I think you'll find that the RC of Windows 7 is available to anyone who cares to download it from 5 May to the end of July see  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

Yeah, I just saw that.  Up to this time only those on the MS Tech net and developers had access to the RC version.

But, the full "retail" release is not due until later this year.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
omarly
1 Copper

Tried it for 2-3 days. Coming back to that one with the RC. Very smooth and easy install on my XPS m1530, one could use vista drivers for most special drivers. Light and more resposive than Vista. Maybe the best product to come from ms? Very good teaser at least. Maybe it can hold me in ms-modus? Phasing it out and over to linux is the plan.

0 Kudos