Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2014 03:00

Utilities/Drivers disk HELP!

Went to use my Disk for drivers and utilities for my system inspiron 15 3521  and notice unlike previous versions of such for other units and OS that are also Dell, none of the installed drives are checked. So does this mean that I was given a wrong disk? It says it is for my unit. If so, what can I do to make sure that should I need to do a complete reinstall, I receive the correct drivers. Or is there a completely free program to back up just the drivers that will place them in the correct spot? I have tried a few various ones in the past but none have decompressed/unzipped to the right location.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 26th, 2014 13:00

I wouldn't worry; drivers on disk become stale, while the latest versions can always be downloaded for Dell or their respective vendors. If you're worried about backups, you can download the latest drivers and burn them to disk.

In the event of a reinstall, if you can get your Inspiron online, you can get the drivers, and the latest ones at that. Therefore, the critical drivers to keep are chipset and network.

15 Posts

June 17th, 2014 11:00

True but if there are various drivers for said unit it is hard to tell which is the correct one for your unit when you have no documentation as to what is what. For instance video could be Intel, AMD or GeForce.  

Model number of pc/laptop means really nothing since they same model number could be used on any unit but having various configuration in parts. This is why I like the way Dell used to do the drivers disk it would automatically detect  and then check the drivers for the exact parts in the unit. You didn't have to play the guessing game. I don't trust outside programs to detect drivers since many times they have been incorrect. This becomes a hassle more so with the chipset and network drivers. Intel for example has various versions of i3 drivers depending on the full s/n. So just because it say i3 important update  doesn't mean it is the correct update for the i3 chip in your unit. 

Basically I rather go from scratch the old way of using the drivers disk that detects the proper driver then I can cross-reference it for the correct updates. Sure this method may seem cumbersome but I can be assured to not have to try every driver  until one is accepted.

And some have to be unzipped but they do not say where to when you do it manually because there is no self- installer/predefined location. The so-called read me files do not say where to place the zip files.

if a person does not have internet or for some reason then it is nice to have a disk that will tell you exactly what drivers are to be used instead of having to try each one. Grant it that sometimes there is only one driver on a unit that is universal with other units. For instance I used my dell drivers disk for an old Inspiron xp unit to get the correct drivers on old dimension 2350 since didn't have a disk ( both units where bought used and different OS and years). Most the drivers were the same for each unit but that was then and the disk detected what parts had corresponding drivers. Also not much changed between the years of the units (200-2004).

I know I'm making this sound complicated but really it's not.

As for getting drivers offline, I'm on a very limited income. Cant always keep my internet more so when they decide to keep jacking the price up. So getting drivers offline isn't always an option. At least if I know the correct ones need from disk, I could use the disk since not all drivers are provided via OS disk. 

Certain games  and/or features will not work until say video drivers are in place  (even if they are a bit outdated) 

Also .... (sorry jumping around) .... a standard system/device scan doesn't always give the correct info And when check my unit info online I get mostly different info as well. I end up going to the various part vendor's sites to get a program to detect the correct drivers needed. Which is a pain in the....

Oh, and in the past with previous OS i have burned drivers to disk. They seem to work when you're not re-installing the OS but if you are something fails. A lot of the time get that error of incompatibility/wrong driver version etc.

Another problem or well to elaborate more on a bit, you check the driver description to make sure it's the correct one and it gives your model number along with other but it's the wrong version or what have you. 

Again this is where my example with Intel i3 can be used. Without the full part/model num then you really don't know if it is the correct one. This is one reason many people don't update as well. The slightest discrepancy in s/n-model num does matter. 

I've seen for my old units with Intel Pentium 4. updates for their code names north bridge on and one for south bridge (only an example) the north bridge driver will not work on the south bridge chip and vice -verso. All the while both are Intel Pentium 4's.

I guess my point is more or less just because a driver says there is an update  does not mean it is the correct one. So I rather just have a disk that indicates the correct drive (even if slightly out of date), but the drivers disk I received doesn't indicate anything so how do I know without having to try each one?

Sorry if i sound confusing and for going around in circles/zig zags.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 17th, 2014 12:00

No Events found!