Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2008 08:00

VISTA SP1 Update completes 100% but then fails and reverts

On 7/12/08 Windows Update decided to apply SP1 to my VISTA Home Premium installation (on Dell Dimension E520).

After a couple of hours everything seemed complete (Step 3 of 3 100%).  The process hung for about 15 mins, then said,

Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes.

Another hour or two later I was back where I started.  I let it have another go and exactly the same happened again - and there were no error messages!

One could obviously rant for hours about the stupidity of Microsoft programmers letting a process go so far and take so long before checking for any problems ... but does anyone have any ideas how to progress my situation.  (I have had to turn off Windows Updates to avoid it having another go every time I power down.)

• 

16.7K Posts

December 12th, 2008 11:00

JohnBatchelor,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

I cannot say what happened exactly. The way I installed the SP on my system was to download the SP to my desktop and then clicked on it to install. It seemed to work better that way for me. Perhaps someone may chime in with more information.

3.6K Posts

December 12th, 2008 11:00

I had this problem for 3 months when SP1 came out.You either have an out dated audio driver(this is the biggest cause of install failure).Or,you have your A/V and Firewall turned on,they all need to be turned off for the install.You could also possibly have an outdated driver on one of your peripheral devices.

3.7K Posts

December 12th, 2008 12:00

hi, Better off turning off the firewall, or booting into safe mode were you dont use a lot of drivers.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2008 13:00

I take it you mean this:

Start - > Run -> Services.msc (Right click, Run As Administrator)

Look for Windows Modules Installer (trustedinstaller.exe). If it is not Automatic, set it to this and do a Stop/ Start. The service needs to be on Automatic for this to work.

17 Posts

January 1st, 2009 10:00

I have the same problem installing SP1.

You say I should set Windows Modules Installer to Automatic, but every time I do that it reverts to Manual on restart, even if I run services as administrator.

Now what?

Thanks.

-- Attila

January 3rd, 2009 05:00

That sounds very sensible

I got some advice from Microsoft.  (Apparently they do offer advice on this issue, although they didn't offer any indication how to find an error message or explain why the process should wait till it is complete before deciding not to proceed.)

They proposed using a process called 'clean boot' (as distinct from Safe Mode).  It involved lots of turning services off and on and sounded rather scary.  Not at all appropriate for the domestic market.

I think I will try the various suggestions made on the forum, first.

No Events found!