Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JA

August 6th, 2008 06:00

Vista 32 bit vs 64 bit

How do I know whether the version of Vista I order on a laptop is 64 bit or 32 bit? I want my 4 gigs of RAM to be put to good use. Does each version of Vista (home, business, ultimate) have a 64 bit and a 32 bit version?

2.3K Posts

August 6th, 2008 06:00

Click the Vista Pearl (the start button bottom left corner of your screen)

Click Control Panel

Click System

In the window that opens... under your WEI Score, in the section called System:

The heading System Type it will say 64-bit OR 32-bit Operating System (one or the other)

That's how you will know.

* Does each version of Vista (home, business, ultimate) have a 64 bit and a 32 bit version?

Yes if you buy the software retail... no if you buy OEM... so if the laptop is Dell, chances are very high that you have the 32-Bit OS.... however, there are rumors that maybe, just maybe Dell will send us all a free DVD of the 64-Bit version of the Vista OS we purchased,,, stay tuned :)

Peace

@J.Aaron wrote:
How do I know whether the version of Vista I order on a laptop is 64 bit or 32 bit? I want my 4 gigs of RAM to be put to good use. Does each version of Vista (home, business, ultimate) have a 64 bit and a 32 bit version?

Message Edited by MoneyGuyBK on 08-06-2008 01:02 AM

2.3K Posts

August 6th, 2008 21:00

J.Aaron, I hope THAT worked?!!!

Peace

11 Posts

August 7th, 2008 05:00

Problem is I haven't bought it yet...I was wanting to know which version they're giving me before I buy an XPS and spend extra money on 4 gigs of RAM.

2.7K Posts

August 7th, 2008 07:00

Hi

You will get the Vista 32 bit version on any of the XPS laptops !

And Vista 32 bit will only use about 3.5 out of the 4 gig,s .

Good Luck

No Events found!