Pat1
2 Iron

Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 Beta 64-bit dual boot on XPS 730

I have successfully clean installed Vista 64-bit, thanks to Chris M, and Windows 7 Beta 64-bit, thanks to Microsoft, in a dual boot setup on my XPS 730. I must say this went much smoother than anticipated and surprised me at how well it works. I only had one discrepency (yellow exclemation) in device manager after installing Vista and it was for a Bluetooth device. Windows 7 Beta installed without a single issue, nothing, nada, zilch. On both OS`s I installed the latest Vista 64 video driver (182.06) for the GTX 285 video card and then installed the nVidia System Tools with ESA support version 6.03. I also installed Works 9 and Roxio Creator DE 10.2 on both and since things were going well I decided to install a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 media center tv tuner.

I did manage to botch the install of a older HP printer on Win 7 by connecting the USB cable befor powering on the printer but I think I have that straightened out now, at least I`m no longer getting an error message at startup saying the drivers did not install correctly.

The only game I have tried so far is Microsoft Golf Links 2003 and I only installed it in Win 7. I played one round online against my brother who lives about 100 miles from me and the game played fine.

I have messed around with windows media player some in both OS`s and so far I have not encountered any problems. The libraries have populated with my music even though I keep my music on a seperate harddrive. I`m using the onboard sound  setup for 5.1 speakers and it sounds great, no cracking and poping like others have had (knocks on wood).

This post is getting long winded so I will end it here. I just wanted to share my experience with the dell community. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and if I know the answer I`ll gladly share.

Pat   

Alienware Area 51, BIOS A11, Win 7 Ultimate x64 upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, I7 980x @ 4.0 GHz, 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM, 2 GTX 480's SLI, 1.2K PSU

XPS Gen4, Win 7 HP x86, P4 @ 3.4, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Radeon X850XT

Dimension 8100, Win xp SP3, Powerleap 2.8 GHz, 768 MB PC800 RDRAM, Radeon X800

XPS T500, Win xp Home SP3, Celron 1.4 GHz, 640 MB RAM, Radeon 8500

0 Kudos