Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2013 09:00

Vista Business product key is invalid

I bought an E6400 used from a company and they gave me all the OEM disks including Vista Business. I re-installed Vista using the OEM disk. I recall activating Windows when I did the install. Everything was going fine until I ran a repair on AVG. After the reboot a message came up saying I need to activate Windows. I try and get this:

I never entered a product key as it is an OEM disk. I have used many Dell OEM disks and have never been asked for a product key. I had a similar thing happen after uninstalling Adobe on an E6400 with Vista Business (that was at work). Is there some MS update or something that is causing Vista Business to suddenly become unactivated and the key invalid? This is concerning to me because the laptop does not have a MS OS sticker on the bottom (that was how I bought it).

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

• 

3.3K Posts

April 30th, 2013 08:00

Hi BUser,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please find the product key on a COA sticker at the bottom of the system as shown in the picture below. Try to activate windows using it. If case you don’t find it, you may have to reinstall the Operating system once again.

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 16:00

i found the key beneath the battery and all seams to be good.

No Events found!