Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2009 19:00

Vista Ultimate 32bit Downgrade to W7 Pro 64bit Possible ?

Here is my situation. I have the following computers :

Sony Vaio Laptop with Windows Vista Business 64bit ( ELIGIBLE for free upgrade to W7 Pro )

Dell Hybrid with Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit ( NOT eligible for free upgrade W7 )

If I get the free upgrade for the Sony to W7 Pro, will I be able to use it on the Dell Hybrid even though it will be a downgrade from the Ultimate and with 64bit?

I am planning to keep the Sony Vaio as is with the Vista OS but use that upgrade CD on the Dell Hybrid instead. Will there be any conflicts by doing this? From my little knowlege of computers, I am able to do this downgrade but I would have to do the "Custom Options" during the instalation?  Please correct me if I'm wrong. I sure hope I don't screw up my computer that's why I came to this board.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

3.7K Posts

December 27th, 2009 03:00

If I get the free upgrade for the Sony to W7 Pro, will I be able to use it on the Dell Hybrid even though it will be a downgrade from the Ultimate and with 64bit?

Hi, Sony software like Dell software are tied to the system it came with. In other words, you will not be able to upgrade your Dell system with Sony issued software.

4.6K Posts

December 27th, 2009 07:00

As Robin advises, you can't use the upgrade disc to install Windows 7 on the Dell Hybrid.

That's because the upgrade disc will be an OEM disc, and OEM OS versions are tied to the system on which they/the original OS is installed.

So if you want to upgrade the Hybrid to Windows 7, you'll have to buy the OS yourself.

Be sure to make the right decision re what kind you buy though - OEM or retail.

OEM has already been explained.  Retail versions don't have that constraint though - i.e. you can install the OS on any [one] system.

So if there's any likelihood you'll want to install the OS on a different system, buy a retail version. 

If you won't need to install it on a different system - an OEM version will do :emotion-5:

No Events found!