October 25th, 2008 18:00

Vista Ultimate will not install on Dimension 4600

Dimension 4600

2.8 GHz Processor

2 GB RAM

80 GB SATA drive

Intel 82865G video with 96 GB memory

BIOS A12

- Install begins and shows the multicolor background at about 640 x 480 for a LONG time

- Installation menu finally comes up

- Start install and wait again for a long time

- Install complains about a driver not being available on the DVD (does not tell me driver for what) and asks me to provide the appropriate driver

That is about as far a it will go as I have no idea what driver it is looking for.  I am guessing the video as the display is at such a low resolution.  Intel does not show a Vista driver for this video chip set however, I have seen posts where folks are running Vista on a 4600 (not sure what video they have).

Interestingly I can run a Vista VM under VMWare on this machine using either Ubuntu Linux or XP as the host OS (but not with the Aero features - no big deal).

Any hints, suggestions or comments appreciated.  

Thanks,

Ken 

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

October 25th, 2008 18:00

If you run the Upgrade Advisor that's on the install disk first, you will see what the hangup is. I can see that it is your video. Integrated video just doesn't run Vista unless it's the latest version with Vista drivers. Your version is not vista capable and Intel can never supply vista drivers because of the old style chipset. On this older computer you should stay with XP. Intel doesn't even show Vista as a choice here on the Download Page.

16 Posts

October 25th, 2008 21:00

Thanks Mary G. for the excellent suggestion!  I ran the upgrade advisor and it told me RUN LINUX  (sorry, couldn't resist).  Actually it complained only about the amount of space on my C: drive (I have a clean 80 GB drive for the Vista installation) and a couple of programs which I have installed. It recommended that I upgrade the video card AFTER installing Vista so I could enjoy the Aero interface.  It did not list any issues with  the Intel integrated video.

So for the time being I will run Visa on an old home made Athlon 1.25 GHz  with a 32 MB NVIDIA clone card or within my VMWare VM.  I will be interested to see what happens when VMWare comes out with Directx 9 support.  I wonder if I can emulate a Directx 9 video system on a non-Directx 9 physical card???

OBTW - This 4600 is not an "older" PC.  My XPS R450 (c.a. 1998) is an older PC :-)  It runs Ubuntu 7.10 just fine and runs GrabIt under Wine to download from Usenet. And it draws less than 40 watts while doing so.  A great energy saver for those long downloads.

Regards,

Ken 

No Events found!