Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2009 15:00

Vista Upgrade to Windows 7

Whats the scoop on this,I have a optiplex 755 usff with vista business on it and can't stand vista,even though after 4 months its finally running somewhat stable.I bought this back in november 2008 and would love to be elegable to be upgrade.Any info would be great ..thanks

64 Posts

:emotion-1: Wow thanks for getting back so fast,Bummer though was hoping i would have been elegable,but i guess thems the breaks.....I will most likly purchuse the upgrade...once agian thanks for fast reply.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

You will be able to upgrade by buying the upgrade when it's available in Oct. You can try it out for free now by downloading and burning a boot disk to dvd. You can use it until next year. No one will be offering free upgrades on computers purchased last year. Visit the Windows 7 site for more info

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 26th, 2009 04:00

Effective today, you can pre-order Windows 7 upgrade at about half price from Best Buy or Amazon. 

3.7K Posts

June 26th, 2009 04:00

Hi, To backup what fireberd said,. There is an document HERE from Dell.

1.1K Posts

June 28th, 2009 08:00

Hi

I could not see any upgrade availability for VISTA  Ultimate  64bit  at discounted price for pre order?

If one needs the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, does one need to pay the full amount then?

Regards

Thiru

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 28th, 2009 08:00

Yes.  There are no discounts on the Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade.  It's 299.99.

150 Posts

June 28th, 2009 13:00

:emotion-15: Mary,

Does Microsoft have a upgrade path for "Windows Vista premium Dell installed" OEM  to the upgrade version " Window 7 prefessional"? or do I have to settle with the Windows 7 premium ?

XPS 730 Aircooled edition

1.1K Posts

July 9th, 2009 09:00

Hello

Thanks for that information. Amazon.com has advertised the Ultimate 7  upgrade price as $219.00. How come? Is it then 80 bucks cheaper?

snow

2 Posts

November 9th, 2009 10:00

I have moved  my Dell XPS M1530 from Vista to Windows 7 (Ultimate) both ways using two different internal drives (cloning with Acronis True Image Home 2010: do NOT try to use 2009 version with Window 7):

• Upgrade - first uninstalling all apps that Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor flagged, and fortunately not having installed MS Beta software (sometimes difficult to uninstall)
  • Custom - overwriting the existing OS, apps, data,  then re-installing apps,  using Microsoft Easy Transfer tool to move data and settings from the cloned disk.

In both cases the M1530 was plugged into my LAN (Ethernet) so that Windows 7 could download updates and drivers as needed, and then Windows Update was used to install MS patches.

In both cases the Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC driver installed by Windows 7 was unable to offer or make an appropriate selection when a 3.5mm microphone was plugged into the right-most front-edge jack or unplugged. This problem was fixed by uninstalling the  CODEC driver(which Windows 7 Device Manager said was the latest and best) and downloading, installing Dell's driver recommended for M1530 Vista (32-bit) :  R190517.exe (enter your service tag (bottom of laptop) in Driver Downloads site).

The uninstall is sometimes necessary for a successful install of this driver. Do not be alarmed that its install-shield says it's for 64-bit Vista. After the install you'll note that plugging into the right-most jack causes the Sigma Tel device-selection panel to pop up so that you can select "Microphone". Then go into Control Panel and configure your default speaker and microphone devices to use this driver for both music and communication; similarly check and set the defaults appropriately for applications such as Skype(Tools->Options->Audio Setting->Show Advanced Options).

In both case plug and play solved all remaining driver issues: USB drivers were downloaded as needed (where available on the web; CDs may be needed for some); Windows Mobile Remote Adaptor (a big one, Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1) was installed when I connected my old unlocked HTC Wizard with USB cable. Sorry, you're out of  luck if you did not follow Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor's advice to uninstall Easy Sync from Vista prior to the upgrade: start over with your crippled Windows 7 or get better technical support than I can offer here. 

Bluetooth drivers (built-in transceiver, Dell mouse, headset) were downloaded and installed automatically when I switched off and on the Bluetooth switch (forward right-hand edge) and later activated each device's "establish connection" mode.

I'm very satisfied with both results (but naturally trust the more laborious clean custom install more): Ubuntu 9.10 is running fully integrated with Windows 7 in a virtual machine created by (free) VMWare Player 3.0 with virtual CDROM pointed to  ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso;  installation was a "no-hands dream".  

No Events found!