Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2007 17:00

Vista and Bit-Torrent?

I'm having serious issues with my new I6400 and Bit-Torrent.  Whenever I have a bit torrent client open, it is only a matter of time until my internet connection drops and i have limited connectivity.  I've seen a few posts on other forums about this, none of which have come up with a suitable answer, but I'm wondering if any of you guys know anything more.

Is it just an issue with Vista?  Will it be fixed in a soon to come service pack?

or could it be a more serious hardware issue?

and more importantly, WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX IT!!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Mike London

February 17th, 2007 17:00

So, you can't download movies or mp3s without paying now? :D

69 Posts

February 17th, 2007 19:00

This is specific to either your computer or computers similiar to you. I haven't had this problem so far and I have Vista Ultimate on my Dell Dimension 3000/Xoxide X-Ventilator Hybrid. Try downloading a newer version from the official site, and also try scanning for and removing all Mal-Ware from your computer. No, anti-virus programs won't protect you from SpyWare, this is a myth and should not be believed. Also, check your firewall, BitTorrent's site, and make sure you aren't running too much on the internet/network connection at once. This isn't a hardware-related issue if it was working prior to your Vista installation or upgrade. If you upgraded, there might be some corrupt registry keys that the program uses, so once again, I recommend installing the latest version from the official site. Don't get it anywhere else than from the official site or you may be getting a modified copy.

45 Posts

February 18th, 2007 01:00

The problem might be your router... and this sounds more like a limitation issue with your router than Vista...Did this happen to you in XP, were you using the same BitTorrent software package, is your BitTorrent client configured differently this time?

1) Try updating your routers firmware
2) Go into your BitTorrent client software package settings dialog and change the maximum number of global connections to around 750 or less (keep decreasing it until your connection stops dropping.
3) Make sure your ethernet/wireless card is using the latest drivers.

If you connection was dropping randomly, then it might be the drivers or a router incompatibility between the two.  However if it's just BitTorrent, then you'll probably have to decrease the number of connections in the software package.

February 18th, 2007 14:00

Thanks for the replies.

To  make it clearer,

I have a XP SP2 PC which connects and downloads fine.  However, my I6400 connects fine until I open a bit-torrent client and the the signal drops.

I have set a ping running on both computers pinging my router and google.co.uk.  Both The PC's pings carry on fine, and both the laptops pings fail.  I've already upgraded my router's firmware.  I'm starting to run out of options!

No Events found!