Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2007 19:00

Vista and FTP

I assume Vista has no native/bundled FTP package.

What to people use/buy these days?

I found a very very old copy WS FTP95E, which actually installed and worked!  Gotta love simplicity.

I'll likely stick with it for my limied FTP needs, but just curioous whats out there reasonable and Vista-ready..I just d/loaded CuteFTP - used to be free but I see its not anymore.

2.9K Posts

August 25th, 2007 20:00

I'm using an OLD version of CuteFTP (ver. 4.2) with Vista and it works perfectly. You can purchase the current version  here.

12.7K Posts

August 25th, 2007 20:00

I use filezilla, reported to work on Vista

Here is how to install software or drivers on Vista that are for XP

Right click on the setup.exe file for the software/driver you are trying to install and select the compatibility Tab
Tick the "run this file in compatibility mode" box and then select XP in the drop down box, Tick "run as Administrator" if it is available, hit OK
Now double click this setup.exe file to execute the install process, hopefully all will go well and install the drivers/Software you need.

If the exe installs software for the device, or you have installed software only, you need to navigate to the program folder where it installed, then do the compatibility thing again for the program executable.

I do not guarantee all drivers or software to work but a large percentage do..

Good luck.

If the Software/ installer (exe file) is on CD, copy the entire contents of the CD to a folder in Vista, then do the compatibility thing.

418 Posts

August 25th, 2007 21:00

Sheldon G wrote:
I assume Vista has no native/bundled FTP package.

What to people use/buy these days?

I found a very very old copy WS FTP95E, which actually installed and worked!  Gotta love simplicity.

I'll likely stick with it for my limied FTP needs, but just curioous whats out there reasonable and Vista-ready..I just d/loaded CuteFTP - used to be free but I see its not anymore.

I'm from ole school.  I use the command prompt to transfer files via FTP.

21 Posts

August 26th, 2007 21:00

I am using an old version of winscp400 which works fine in native Vista mode.

Free.

Peter

509 Posts

August 27th, 2007 19:00

Thanks. Price is certainly right. I'll check it out.
No Events found!