Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 25th, 2008 13:00

Vista and McAfee issue?

I have had Vista on my Dell desktop for more than 18 months now, since buying the Dell, and have been using McAfee also got via Dell with no problems, until in the past few days I keep getting a yellow circle with exclamation mark in it over the McAfee icon in the tray at the bottom of  the screen. When I open, there is a message saying my computer is not protected, and that I have not scanned it with McAfee for more than 30 days.  A note says I last scanned on 24/9/08. Yet I did a full scan today, and yesterday, manually. The scan was completed, I was told five items were found but they are not critical and no actoin was suggested. Is there some newish issue with Vista and McAfee? I tried getting technical help via the McAfee website, but it was pretty useless, and first technician got me to download a patch which did not fix, while the second sent a document via e-mail saying I should perform a DOS virus scan in Windows Vista. I am too busy to do this for the next few hours as I have an article to finish. But anyway, why am I being asked to do a DOS virus scan to try to fix my problem? Does  this mean Vista no longer works properly with McAfee virus scan? The technician gave no explanation whatsoever. All that I know is that McAfee is not updating properly to record the fact that I have used it to carry out a full scan.

25 Posts

October 25th, 2008 16:00

McAfee has a 'Virtual Technician (VT)' software program that comes with the Securitycenter package or it is located on the McAfee website. I too had a problem this past week with corrupted McAfee files after a year of absolutely no problems. I ran the VT software program and it fixed my problems. With fingers crossed, I have had no additional problems. (BTW, are you using the updated DELL's PC Tune-up software that runs automatically in the background. Wondering if this has something to do with the issue?) Good luck

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 25th, 2008 16:00

Perhaps your subscription to McAfee has run out. Normally you must renew and pay once a year. Open your antivirus and check Help, About McAfee to see.

387 Posts

October 28th, 2008 17:00

Hi susiet2. :smileyhappy: Is this the same computer that you posted the following about on 4/1/07?

On 4/1/07, susiet2 said:

"I find the version of Mcafee that I downloaded from the Mcafee-Dell page after reinstalling Vista a few days ago is version 7.2. It seems to be working OK; now I'm wondering, after reading about the need to have version 8.5. This is the 15-month sub that I ordered with the Dimension."

If that's the case and you haven't renewed the subscription then you've found the culprit because it's been over 15 months. If you're using McAfee Security Center then you should see on the first page a section that says SecurityCenter Information and below that it says Subscription Information along with the date that it expires. I'm not sure what McAfee's tech support was attempting but I do know that they have a tendency to try things that aren't necessary sometimes (from personal experience talking to them). I will say though that they are not the only tech support to do that. I do know that McAfee Security Center does work with Vista so the first thing to check is that expiration date and if it's expired then either renew it or try one of the other programs that were suggested to you concerning anti-virus programs. However, if you do switch to another AV program then you will want to make sure that you uninstall McAfee so that you don't have any conflicts. Any questions, let us know.

No Events found!