Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2011 09:00

Vista in use for 4 years now wants me to activate, tried to but it fails

After using Vista  Business for about 4 years it has decided today that my copy is not genuine although it is a Dell pre installed version on my Vostro.It says it is due to unauthorised changes to Windows.

I went to the Microsoft site to validate but it said I needed to activate my copy due to hardware changes. So I tried to activate via the phone process I had read on forums to speak to a person rather than use the automated process. I spoke to 2 different people on 2 different calls, but both gave me the same numbers to activate, both failed it said that it didn't match the product id. They said the only way they could help me was to pay to speak to a technician or upgrade my windows, neither of which I want to do. They suggested I try the manufacturer but it is out of warranty so again they want me to pay for help.

I have noticed on various forums that it seems to be a regular thing, but it is new to me. I have not partitioned my hard drive, installed new hardware or tried to reinstall Vista myself, so I can't understand why this has happened. I am at a loss as to what to do now I can not activate or validate my legal copy of Vista.

Can anyone please help?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2011 09:00

The files that hold the activation information probably got corrupted.  Start by running a CHKDSK /R from the Command Prompt, select Y to schedule the chkdsk, then reboot.  Then at the Command Prompt again, run SFC /SCANNOW ... you will need your Vista DVD in the DVD drive for this step.  Then try activating again.  If that doesn't work, you could always reinstall Vista (either using the Recovery Partition (if you have one) or a Vista installation DVD.  Just backup your important data first, as both are destructive to your personal files.

No Events found!