Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2009 05:00

Vista installation or factory image restore

Hi, 

I purchased Dell Inspiron 1545, with Vista Home Basic. I was not knowing abt partition option so I installed Partition Magic as i was doing with Xp in my desktop. But it crashed up Vista. Next day i Switched on my laptop it didnot boot in normal or safe mode. I pressed F8 n started in repair mode, der i can c Load Drivers Options (To recognise Partition / disks) but i tried drivers in Recovery partition n also frm DVD but i did not found... then i pressed next> It opened a Recovery Window. But no recovery options are working... If i select Factory Image Restore it is giving an error with error code : 0x80070057. If i select ful system restore (Last option) it asks for format, I tick the check box n press next but nothing happens, jus one window form appears and disappears thats all...

I tried installing Vista using DVD der it is showing as unallocated space for C: having 283 GB space. Here i m not able to create new partition. If i try to create new Partition it is giving error message: "Failed to create partition in selected unused space. [Error: 0x8004240f]. I m not able to find the solution for dis problem... can any body help.... How to restore the image in Recovery drive? how to create a partition?  how to make it recognized by vista???

Thanks in advance
Mahesh s

• 

16.7K Posts

May 20th, 2009 06:00

kumar.marhesh.s.

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Chances are the restore partition is corrupted. If you want to re-partition the drives you will have to delete the current partitions and then re-create them. Once you have them created you will need to format the drives and reinstall Windows.  You should be able to perform these functions by booting to the Vista disc and choosing the options.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 20th, 2009 13:00

F8 restore of the Factory.wim is relatively straightforward.

Dell partitions the drive with Diag partition. Then 10 Gig Restore Partition,  Then the rest of the drive.

Thats not the same as the Drive letters however.

Restore partition may show up as C: after booting from DVD.

Boot F8 and see if factory restore still works.

May 21st, 2009 00:00

In my system recovery partition is around 15GB and remaining partition it is showing 283GB (mine is 320GB HDD).

when i press F8 and boot in repair mode in the first window it shd show partition it seems, but it is showing nothing in partition list. There i can c in the bottom of the window the message something like if partition is not showing load the drivers for disks, and "Load Drivers" button is der. Is it like that only or should it show HD partitions? 

If i press next their i can c recovery options, but their it shows as "Partition :  Unknown". In that window if i select Factory image Restore it is giving the error :

"An Internal error occurred. The following information might help to resolve the error: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057) "

Please tell me is their any command that i can execute in command mode to restore the factory image?

i m able to c the wim image in Recovery:\Dell\Image\  folder (when i press load drivers and browse). So nothing has happened to recovery partition and image :)

Thanks
Mahesh

May 21st, 2009 00:00

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for ur reply.

It seems nothing has happened to recovery partition, bcoz i m able to c all files in recovery partition when i press browse in Load Drivers (Repair mode). I can c all folders including Dell (Containing wim image file ) , Windows, Program Files ... And command mode in recovery window works, Is der any cmd that i can use to restore that image?  Do i need to change anything in BIOS during vista installation?

If it is mandatory to delet the partition then can i delete only C:\ and recreate it so that i can retain the recovery partition?

Thanks
Mahesh

3.7K Posts

May 21st, 2009 03:00

Hi kumar.mahesh.s, Have you tried to repair  your restore partition from the Command Prompt HERE

May 22nd, 2009 02:00

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the info, yesterday i tried with the comand prompt, but when i type cmd >PCRestore it is not doing anything.

In the first screen of the repair it should show the OS to be repaired or restored no, there it is showing empty list :( . (It seems it is notable to recognize the OS partition). 
If i click the restore option provided in system recovery window it is telling image not found and asking to load drivers of the storage device which is having image.

It seems it is not able to restore the image from recovery partition, but dono y? might b the image is corrupted, but how? i m able to c everything in this partition, the image in Dell \ Image \ Factory.wim is around 4.77GB, this partition also have folders - Windows (900+MB), Users, Program Files but dono wat is wrong.

If deleting and recreating the partition is the only solution then how to do that. I m not able to do it using Vista DVD, what is the next step????

Thanks
Mahesh

3.7K Posts

May 22nd, 2009 03:00

Hi kumar.mahesh.s,  In IE type C:\dell\utilities\DSR then double click on DSRIRRemv2.exe, that will remove you partition. With your partition broke, then you will have to do an manual install using your disc's. There are 2 support journals that will help you, the first one HERE will get your operating system back on, and the second one HERE will help you get your drivers on and in what order ( Inportant ). You cannot download the software to recreate your recovery partition, so I would remove that partition.

May 22nd, 2009 05:00

Hi Robin, Thanks for the useful information and links. But i dont know how to open IE in repair mode?

Shal i do it in command mode?

One more thing, in my HDD the recovery partition is of 15GB, so during vista installation I can format it and install vista as 15GB is sufficient to install Vista(it asks 11.6GB free space). So if I leave the partition as it is and install vista in that 15GB partition then afterwords will I be able to  format and partition the remaing 283GB (unallocated) space using disk manager option that is available in vista? 

3.7K Posts

May 22nd, 2009 08:00

Hi kumar.mahesh.s, Once you run the  C:\dell\utilities\DSR then double click on DSRIRRemv2.exe, it will remove your 15GB recovery partition because you wont need it, and your C drive will go upto 298GB. Then use the instruction above to reinstall your Op on your C drive. 

1 Message

June 5th, 2009 05:00

Dear Jesse,

I have the same problem.

a couple of days ago I tried to reinstall my Vista from Dell Reinstallation DVD and completly format system partition.

Later I found that function "Recover my Computer" with F8 key begin unaccessable.

But image ...Image\"bla-bla-bla".wmi still exist on Restore partition and occupate near 5Gb.

How I can use it? How I can restore my Dell Studio 1737 from this image?

I tried boot in safe mode and run PCRestore.exe from Restore partition. But it cannot format drive c:

1 Message

June 28th, 2009 05:00

hi u need to reformat the comp now ur restore wont work i did the same thats the hidden thing which dell has given once gone its gone

how to do entire formating i can guide u perfectly

June 29th, 2009 02:00

Hi Rajesh, Thanks for ur reply...

I deleted the recovery partition and then formated using vista dvd...

Regards

Mahesh

No Events found!