Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2008 15:00

Vista not booting, cant recover, safe mode doesnt work etc.

Hi guys, a friend of mine gave me their Inspiron 1505 with Vista 32 Home Edition. The problem is it doesn't boot, After switching on it comes up  Windows Failed to start - Launch Start up repair / Start windows normally. I have tried both and got the same results - after about a minute or so of the microsoft corp loading bar the screen goes black..and thats it nothing.

I tell it to boot from CD/Dvd with the vista reinstallation disk in the drive it reads it, the white loading bar comes up on screen and says loading windows files..after its done it just goes to the black screen again.

From the Advanced boot options the "repair your computer" doesnt work, Safe mode in any mode doesnt work, But with safe mode with command prompt it gets to Windows\system32\drivers\avgrkx86.sys and stops running..there was an AVG disk in the Cd drive when I got it.

Also Last known good config doesnt work.

What she tried to do was change her password which failed, she said it was acting funny just before. When she tried to log back in her account again she couldnt so used a password recovery disk and blanked her password. Apparantly this comes on a bootable CD which the laptop read ok..

Have any of you any ideas of what I can do next to get the thing to at least run a recovery program..apart from a Big Hammer or a size 11 boot...its been close to it!

Thanks in advance for your time.

2 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply Sofu, I'll give that a try.

984 Posts

You can probably boot from the Windows Vista disk if you remove the hard drive as described in the Service manual at this link. However it it does boot up do not hot plug the hard drive. Then you can put the hard drive in an external enclosure, connect it to another computer, try to copy user files, and then do a reformat. Then refit the HDD in the laptop and reinstall Windows Vista.
Message Edited by Sofu on 10-30-2008 04:32 AM

6 Posts

October 29th, 2008 23:00

My Dell Inspiron 530 Vista did the same thing yesterday.  Only difference is .. it's only a week old!!  I received the same message "unable to load Windows".

Not sure WHY it happened .. but I did the same things as previously indicated .. tried the disk .. going through repair .. etc.  Rebooted several times (at the computers instruction) and after 4-5- times .. all of a sudden my computer could bring Windows up. 

The only thing I did differently was to load Windows Live email.  I've heard from others that WLE is the "kiss of death" for XP & Vista computers alike.  I haven't opened it since and have had no problems (knock on wood).  I am afraid my NEW COMPUTER will do this again .. so if there are any suggestions.. I'm ready to hear them.

Thanks. 

p.s.  I know this isn't the "audio" forum .. but the Realtek factory install on my computer sounds like the music is coming from inside a barrel.  The ONLY way I can hear the music (apparently, I didn't order speakers, either) is through a headset plugged in the front of the computer. 

I'd like to know what else I need to order (from Dell) to get this working AND to get a "what you hear" volume mixer on my Vista computer.  If you can't get it with Vista .. then I need to know what to do to send this computer back and get XP  put back on .. because I know it'll work on those.

Thanks again ...

~ Em

6 Posts

October 29th, 2008 23:00

Sorry .. one more thing to add about the AUDIO on this machine ... I DJ on the weekends (internet radio) and need something that will allow me to stream audio through WINAMP.  I had the Creative Soundblaster Live on my XP previously.

Please let me know what will work .. Thanks!

~ Em

984 Posts

October 30th, 2008 00:00

@Emmes wrote:

My Dell Inspiron 530 Vista did the same thing yesterday.  Only difference is .. it's only a week old!! 

Since your computer is very new and under warranty you are best to contact Dell rather than try to troubleshoot here.

6 Posts

October 30th, 2008 00:00

Thank you, John.  Believe me when I tell you I appreciate your comment .. but I've read most of the comments regarding CS with Dell and how difficult it is to get assistance .. much less a timely response without the run around. 

If I knew of a "direct connect" with a live person who spoke understandable English .. I would probably take your advice.  If such a person existed .. there would be no need for this forum, I'd venture to say.

Thought I'd ask.  Thanks anyway.

~ Em

No Events found!