Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2009 08:00

Vista on XPS 410

I have a XPS 410 that was brought to me that was running XP.  The system was eat up with viruses, so I tried to reinstall XP with no success.  Then I found out that originally the machine came with Vista Home Prem on it.  My friend did not have any original docs or disks and the machine did not have restore partition.  I installed Vista Ultimate on it with no problems.  Machine seems to run fine; but when I use an app ie: Word, Internet Explorer, FireFox etc. the system just locks up for 5 to 30 seconds.  It will come back and I can continue what I was doing; but it just seems to have these lapses where it goes away for 20 or so seconds and then it comes back.  Vista installed fine; all the devices are running fine.  I have tried 2 different version of Vista with the same result.  Can anyone help me?

2 Posts

July 20th, 2009 09:00

Jesse, thanks for the reply.  Can you tell me where to find the system diagnostics? 

• 

16.7K Posts

chesb,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try running the system diagnostics on the computer to see if anything failing show up.

• 

16.7K Posts

chesb,

The Dell™ Diagnostics utility is a hardware diagnostic program placed in the utility partition on the hard drive. The diagnostic utility can also be found on the Dell ResourceCD. To get to the diagnostic you can press the F12 key and choose the utiltiy partition. Then you will have options to choose. Pick the express diags option.

No Events found!