Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2009 09:00

Vostro 1700 not among machines supporting Windows 7???

I'm new to this forum because I can't find answers I need elsewhere.  I am NOT inquiring about the upgrade program; rather, about Windows 7 upgrades to a machine purchased over a year ago.

I have a Vostro 1700 just over one year old (Vista Home Premium).  I love it.  It's out of warranty, so I can't contact Dell support directly without fees, but I'd like to get guidance about the following:

The Vostro 1700 is not included in the tables that show Dell systems tested and capable of running Windows 7.  See

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&docid=360683&l=en&s=gen 

Microsoft's upgrade adviser confirmed that my machine (e.g., memory, speed, etc.) would have no problems running Windows 7 and I've verified this through lots of reading.

I purchased a Windows 7 upgrade directly from Microsoft ($49 when they were promoting advance purchase).  I plan on conducting an in-place upgrade (32 bit) rather than a clean install, since I really like how I've set up my computer and software.

Now I'm concerned about several things:

1.  Should I have purchased the upgrade directly from Dell?  (Dell webpages seem to imply that certain updates and configurations inherent to their computers may need to be adjusted with a specific Dell upgrade package...?)

2.  My Vostro won't be upgradable regardless of where I purchased the upgrade.

3.  I planned on just keeping the recovery partition as is, even though I understand it will only recover to Vista.

4.  Will Dell Media Direct, the volume buttons, and other mechanical elements of my machine still work after installation of Windows 7 if I use Microsofts upgrade disks rather than ordering upgrade disks/packages from Dell??

Thanks to anyone who will bother to help me out.  I need either a confidence booster to proceed with my plan, or a red flag waving me in a different direction.

4 Posts

September 21st, 2009 21:00

OK I've been using Windows 7 for months (in many different versions) on my 1700 and it runs fine. I'm not sure why Dell are saying it's not compatible.. the only thing I cannot do on my Windows 7 install, is have a visual indication of the keys I'm pressing on the front - in other words, no Quickset that will wok on the 1700, no trackpad driver (but built in driver works fine), and not sure if it's me, the laptop or the lack of driver.. but occasionally it feels like during typing, the screen will suddenly move back to another random position or change the current active window.. if It's a 7 thing, I can live with it because the 1700 with Windows 7 is FAR superior in speed, "fluid"ness, it just feels right! It's nice to have some proper video drivers for the 8600m GT as well, as before trying to download Vista drivers from NVidia were told that only Dell drivers would work...    I'm using the 64bit version too... My full retail copy arrives in a few days.. can't wait!

1 - not sure

2 - mine is fine with lots of different builds

3 - ok..  I deleted mine, once played with 7 there will be no going back!

4 - Media Direct should not be OS dependent so fine. Volume buttons - work fine but no on-screen visual. webcam, sound, ports, video, etc... are fine...

Install Windows 7 with confidence on your 1700 :)

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 17:00

You are a friend indeed to this person in need.  I will definitly miss the features of Quickset (Esp Printer switching network awareness) but I'm looking forward to my windows 7 which is incomming.  I have the VZW 5720 Modem and the upgrade advisor says there is an update avaiable for it.  Has anyone had any luck getting that?  Also is it still the case (2 months later and one month after True worldwide release) that there is no Quickset.

Any other issues I should watch for?

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 18:00

You are a friend indeed to this person in need.  I will definitly miss the features of Quickset (Esp Printer switching network awareness) but I'm looking forward to my windows 7 which is incomming.  I have the VZW 5720 Modem and the upgrade advisor says there is an update avaiable for it.  Has anyone had any luck getting that?  Also is it still the case (2 months later and one month after True worldwide release) that there is no Quickset.

Any other issues I should watch for?

Hi there,

I'm afraid it's still the case. I have tried a number of versions of the Quickset application and none work with 64-bit. I have not tried the 32-bit edition of Windows and the Vista driver for Quickset, but this may be something to try. One thing I would definitely advise is don't upgrade Windows via the "upgrade" method, instead install fresh.. it makes for faster boot times and a faster general use experience than doing an upgrade. Just make sure you backup all your media from the drive (and settings using Windows Easy Transfer software from within Vista).

Another thing I've noticed - when installing the drivers for the Vostro 1700 after Windows 7 has finished installing, install the chipset drivers first - if you do not it can be particularly difficult to get the card reader driver installed - Device Manager will tell you that "Base System Device" has no driver installed. This is the position I'm in since purchasing a copy of Windows 7 and replacing the previous "test" version. I believe the correct chipset drivers are on the Dell support site (you will need to right click the setup.exe > compatibility and chose the option to make Windows think it's either XP or Vista) if for any reason this doesn't work then try the chipset driver on the Intel site. I'll write again when I've installed it (probably when I've bought an OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD to replace the system drive and give it a new lease of life!)

One last issue, the Alps pointer driver can be installed using the Alps website.

It's a poor show that this fantastic laptop with performance spec coming out of it's ears (even after it's been discontinued for ages) has not had any driver updates since around early '08. For that reason alone I will not be purchasing another Dell laptop to replace it.

Good luck!

2 Posts

January 20th, 2010 09:00

Hi,

I've also installed Windows 7 64 bit on my Vostro 1700, but I cannot get the webcam to work.

All of my other hardware is dectected and recognized, so I have no "unknown" hardware showing up.
Tried to add manually a new imaging device hardware and to specify the drivers (tried both folders extracted from the driver setup).
Installed the chipset, video, and other drivers.

How did you get the webcam to work?
Thanks.

Steve.

4 Posts

January 20th, 2010 10:00

Hi Steve,

I'm surprised you can't get the webcam to work. It doesn't install automatically but just needs the current driver for Vista 32-bit listed on the Dell Support page to be installed and it should detect fine. If that fails, it may pick-up on a windows update under "Software - optional".

Incidentally since my post above, I've managed to get Quickset working fine. I'm using a different PC at the moment, but I will post back soon and include all the details and where to download each driver from!

Cheers!

2 Posts

January 21st, 2010 02:00

Hi,

I have a Dell vostro 1700, after running the windows compatbility test it past with flying colours. So then I ran the Dell upgrade from vista to windows 7 upgrade assistant and it said NO even though the minimum requirements were exceeded (with 2.1 core 2 duo processor, 4 gb ram, twin 250 Gb HDs,).

So I basically upgraded with a new install regardless of what dells upgrade assistant said. It took a lot longer than expected (approx 90 mins) but the only issues I had was with two ' Base system device' errors in Device manager. Having read the post above I downloaded the Richoh drivers for the card readers and installed them in XP / Vista compatibility mode and now my system is showing a clean bill of health running Windows 7 smoothly.

No thanks to Dell. How they can produce a Laptop and then after just over 12 months offer no driver support for it leaving customers to do their dirty work, is quite frankly disgusting. Having been well impressed by the Laptop up until this point, this has made my mind up that I will probably  not buy another Dell after this.

Just once again so you know, you can run Windows 7 on a Dell vostro 1700 just read the previous posts on this thread. Despite what Dell Says !

Thanks to GFunkula for your post !

now for Quickset ??

2 Posts

January 21st, 2010 03:00

I have installed the driver, but it doesn't matter since there is no unrecognized hardware (Base system device) listed in the Device manager , meaning the OS doesn't detect it!

Latest BIOS and all other drivers installed, no parameter in the BIOS to disable the Webcam either.

Hmmm... help?!

4 Posts

January 31st, 2010 07:00

OK I now have the working driver references that work perfectly (for me) on my Vostro 1700. Just google the "R" number to find the Dell download page for that driver.

Audio - R153910
Bluetooth - R226750
Quickset - R182249
Ricoh - R161772
Touchpad - R165805
Webcam - R165116

Other drivers I downloaded from the manufacturer's site.

Sorry I took so long to come up with the goods!

1 Message

February 17th, 2010 07:00

Is there any advice in regards to 32bit vs 64bit?  I still have the need to use MS Access 2003.  If I opted to install as 64bit does that have any influence on the operation of XP mode? 

Thanks

1 Message

September 21st, 2010 18:00

Why is it necessary to install all that drivers? I use my laptop vostro1700 on vista business and upgrade it en 7 ultimate today.

All is correct, except the parameters from the nvidia game controller (indice=2.0 instead of 4.8 before!)

And symbol "!" on "other peripheric of base"

My action was recover vista by 7 by starting instal from vista and not from dvd boot.

If another guy can give me precision about graphic card, it could be great ;-)

No Events found!