Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2013 19:00

Vostro 430 - Reinstall to factory conditions

Hi, please excuse in advance if my terminology is wrong, the differences between 'rescue, recovery, repair and reinstall' confuses me no end....  Can someone help me with my reformatting issue please? I'd be grateful.

My machine is a Dell Vostro 430 and I have windows 7. I wish to take my computer right back to being as clean as when it first arrived to me (is that called factory conditions?). I have on occasion used the 'restore', to go back to earlier dates, but this time I want the full monty and to bring my machine back clean like it was delivered, so a 'Restore' is not sufficient.

I've saved all my personal data and I'm ready to start the task. However, it's scary, so could someone advise/reassure me on

(1)  I do not have something called Datasafe (at least, I don't think I have it as i cant find it). So... is this what I do.... open up 'Dell Backup and Recovery Manager', click on 'Dell Recovery Tools,' select 'OS or application media backup', yes?  Is that right, or, do I go to Control Panel and use the back up there?  If the latter do I make the 'image' or a repair disc?

(2)  Once I've done the correct method in (1) my requirements are that all the exact stuff that was on there when I bought it, is there once again. For example it has a built in web camera, it has sound, it has a graphics card, it has various small applications, it has drivers for everything, and so on. There's no way I could put all that lot back myself after reformatting (is there?) so I'm hoping the method advised to me in (1) meets all those requirments, and puts it all back for me, like the day it arrived.

I'd really appreciate some advice. (I apologise for my poor description. I can't think right this minute as my head is done in with all this... sorry.) Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 4th, 2013 20:00

Wanda7777

The procedures for Restoring or Reinstalling Windows on a Dell Computer, are HERE

Bev.

3 Posts

February 5th, 2013 03:00

<<<< The procedures for Restoring or Reinstalling Windows on a Dell Computer, are HERE >>>>>

Hi, thanks for responding. But which do I choose, Restore or Reinstall?  That's what confuses me. I don't know the difference. Which is the one that achieves all my requirements in (2) ?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 5th, 2013 06:00

Wanda7777

To restore the computer, you use the 'PC Restore Step 3' option.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362066&isLegacy=true

Hint: Read the notice about "Dell OptiPlex, Latitude, Vostro, and Precisions use Dell Backup and Recovery Manager as the PC Restore/Factory Image Restore option".

Bev.

3 Posts

February 5th, 2013 08:00

Many thanks for responding Bev, it's appreciated.However, my question wasn't answered, firstly because I don't want to Restore my computer, I want to bring it back to factory defaults, including all those things I mentioned in para (2), and as I understand it 'restore' is a different thing (I think? you see, I'm confused)

Also I read the links you pointed me toward and that didn't help either. That link for example had several choices, so giving me the link was useless, as being green I wasn't exactly sure which choice to make.

Again this is all because it confuses me and I would love it if someone could reassure me at the same time as pointing out explicitly what I do.

Is any kind reader in a position to fill in the xxxxxx space here and say this to me........? "Wanda, everything you require in para (2) can be achieved by doing xxxxxx".  THAT would reassure me at the same time as spelling it out.  (yes, I know, I'm a nervous dummy who needs it spelled out, but your answer to me might also help future nervous dummies with the same problem?)

No Events found!