Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

November 3rd, 2016 16:00

W7 Starter Recovery Media for Inspiron Mini 1018

Inspiron Mini 1018 won't boot - hard drive errors. No recovery partition, no recovery media created so I called Dell to get the media.

They no longer have it. And since it's factory installed, Msft won't let me download it and tells me to get it from Dell.

The thing is only 4-5 years old and I"ve no problem replacing the hard drive as long as I can get the os reinstalled.

Any suggestions?

• 

16.7K Posts

November 4th, 2016 08:00

webbrewers,

You can click the link below to see if you can get the OS disk. The system released in 2010. 

Dell Restore Disc.

12 Posts

November 4th, 2016 17:00

Thank you. This machine has Windows 7 Starter which isn't listed on that site. So I assume my product key won't work. I find it hard to believe that an OS I paid for only 5 years ago isn't made more readily available by Dell.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 5th, 2016 19:00

At this stage the easiest thing for you to do is download the Windows 10 RS1 .iso from Microsoft. See here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

If not you can download the Windows 7 Starter Commercial OEM from Microsoft. See here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/ 

12 Posts

November 6th, 2016 10:00

Philip.

Good tip - I made a W7 starter bootable usb stick. It loads the files and starts to show the Windows progress bar but then nothing happens. Mouse cursor is active.

I don't know for sure if the hard drive has failed or Windows is corrupted. Do you think this is more likely I didn't get a complete iso on the flash drive or a bad hard drive? I"m trying to decide if it's worth getting another hard drive or just giving up on this machine.  

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 6th, 2016 16:00

First check the F12 preboot diagnostics. It should let you know if the HDD is bad:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/f12-preboot-diagnostics/ 

12 Posts

November 6th, 2016 17:00

I had already done that and got errors on the hard drive:

Example (repeated for different block #'s):

0F 00: 1328

Drive didn't finish command in time

But I don't know if that's a hard drive  or Wndows corruption error.

I called Dell tech support and they implied it was a hard drive failure but they weren't very sure. Is there a resource that explains what the error messages actually mean?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 7th, 2016 01:00

The errors are usually 2000-0142 and 2000-0146 with the Dell F12 preboot diagnostics. 

You can try to download a Windows 7 .iso again (check the .iso checksums) and use a different USB flash drive. I would try using Diskpart → Clean before the installation. 

12 Posts

November 7th, 2016 15:00

Use Diskpart on the flash drive?

And I think one test did give me a 2000 0146 error.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 8th, 2016 07:00

No on the HDD. If you got error 2000-0146 however its time to throw away the HDD/SSD and replace it with a SSD.

No Events found!