Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

May 12th, 2004 18:00

WINDOWS EXPLORER

i run windows xp. recently whenever i right click on desktop items or try to remove programs from add\remove programs i get a message saying 'windows explorer has encountered a problem and has to close.we are sorry for this inconvienience'. it then says the file it will send in a report is;

locals~1\temp\wer12.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt.

can anyone tell me what this is and how i can repair it? many thanks from willsy - england

2K Posts

May 12th, 2004 21:00

AS   Explorer.exe is also in the   WFP DLLCACHE
You could try running SFC , which checks protected System Files for corruption & if found replaces them from reinstall..XP CD .
If it prompts for XP CD , hold Shift key while inserting XP CD to stop Auto play.
Use Start > Run & type
sfc  /scannow  (space after sfc)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe
--------------
If the above doesn't work you could try a Windows Repair from boot of XP CD.
1st set BIOS to use CD_ROM as 1st choice by pressing F2 (for some Computers the "Del") key.
Re-start Computer , start Install by pressing the "Enter" key then select the next R displayed , don't select the 1st R for Recovery Console.
A Windows Repair will leave the Installed Program & Data intact , but you will have to download the Windows Updates again including SP1a if the XP CD doesn't show it on the CD label.

Message Edited by gryjhnhpe on 05-13-2004 11:25 AM

No Events found!