Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2007 06:00

Where is the Recycler/Nprotect folder??

Newbie here and I did something dumb....

I attempted to install the current version of Norton Systemworks Premier on my computer. Not sure what happened, but the install didn't go well. That's not my problem. I'm okay with the program not installing because it was only a trial version.

When the program crashed, I think it was creating some sort of bin file. After I uninstalled Norton Systemworks, I defragged my hard drive using the Windows XP disk de-fragmenter program. The defrag report said I have a 7GB and 5GB bin file located at the following locations:

\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00026422.bin
\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00026430.bin

These are the two files Norton was doing something with when the computer crashed. I would like to delete these two files since these files taking up a huge portion of my hard drive space.

My problem is I can't find these two files on my hard drive. To no avail, I did a file search looking for both hidden files and for files in my system folders.

Can someone please help me out? Where can I find these two files so I can delete them?

Thanks in advance!

mike

2.2K Posts

December 29th, 2007 08:00

There's a specialized utility from Symantec that should do the trick if they're not showing up in the recycle bin or the recycler folder.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

GM

2 Posts

December 30th, 2007 07:00

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, the Norton Removal Tool did not remove the bin files located in the Recycler/Nprotect folder.

I was able to delete the files after doing some research on the Symantec website.

Seems as though the Recycler and Nprotect folders are hidden folders that not even Windows Explorer can see.

I was able to locate the Recycler folder using the MS-DOS command prompt window. I was able to see the 'hidden' Recycler and Nprotect folders using the 'dir /ah' dos command.

Once I was in the Recycler/Nprotect folder I changed the attributes of the two bin files using the dos command 'attrib -r -h -s *.bin'

This changed the files files from being hidden and from being 'read-only'

I could then delete the two bin files which freed up about 15GB of disk space.

Thank goodness for good ol' DOS.

mike
No Events found!