Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2012 01:00

Will restore wipe my windows XP?

Hi

I want to reinstall windows XP on my Latitude D510 but I don't have the disks I received from when I bought the laptop. I bought the laptop in Japan and chose an English OS for windows XP, which meant that nothing was pre-installed and I had to install everything from disks supplied in the box. When I left Japan I must have accidentally thrown away the disks along with other stuff because I can't find them anywhere.

Can I do a system restore or PC restore without wiping windows XP off my laptop? Or do I need the disks and drivers and do a full manual reinstallation?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 24th, 2012 03:00

If there is no Dell recovery on the hard drive, as apparently there is not, it will require reinstalling with Discs.  You will need a Windows XP disc, any drivers needed can be downloaded from the Dell downloads for the D510  HERE

Dell has a procedure to request discs, if eligible.  You can try and if not eligible you will have to purchase a (legal) Windows XP disc for the reinstall.

Dell replacement discs

Keep in mind the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) install Dell Laptop System Software on applicable models (3) Install motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers including Video, Dell sound driver, ethernet, wireless, etc.

No Events found!