Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2009 10:00

Will the COA for my VISTA Home Premium 32 bit[oem] work for VISTA Ultimate OEM disc form Dell.

Mine had the Vista Express Upgrade using the Dell's Express upgrade DVD for Vista Home Premium 32 bit in March 2007.[from XP to Vista was a promotion at that time]. I did a clean install of the vista Home Premium 32 bit using the upgrade DVD at that time.

Now I have obtained from Dell VISTA 64bit Reinstallation DVD[Dell Rep told me that she did not have the Vista Home Premium 64 bit and is it ok for me to receive the Vista Ultimate 64 bit reinstallation DVD-for which I agreed]

The Reinstallation 64 bit Ultimate DVD has arrived today in an envelop. I do not find a certificate of Authenticity[COA] inside. However the sleeve that has the following written on it:

"The Microsoft operating system Certificate of Authenticity [COA] is a multicolored label located on the side or bottom of your computer. The COA contains the product key code, which might be required to complete the operating system setup."

Now where do I stand? Can I go ahead with my clean install of the Vista Ultimate 64 bit with the Disc I just received after formating my Drive where my present Vista Home Premium 32 bit is present.

I own a single computer in Home environment.

Snow

2.9K Posts

February 11th, 2009 06:00

As Dell-Jesse has already said, "The COA on the back of the system is ONLY for the Vista Home 32 and 64 bit and NOT Vista Ultimate or Business. Dell computers will not need a COA provided you are using the Dell Supplied DVD on a Dell Computer. The bios detects that it is a Dell Disc and a Dell System and will not ask for a COA". Good luck with the new OS!

• 

16.7K Posts

snowshine,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

In order for you to perform this function you are going to have to boot to the 64 bit OS  format and reinstall Windows. The COA on the back of the system is ONLY for the Vista Home 32 and 64 bit and NOT Vista Ultimate or Business. Dell computers will not need a COA provided you are using the Dell Supplied DVD on a Dell Computer. The bios detects that it is a Dell Disc and a Dell System and will not ask for a COA.

1.1K Posts

Thank you DELL-jesse.

So though I received the VISTA Ultimate SP-1 64bit DVD from Dell when I do a clean install, it will automatically detect that I have Home Premium and install that in for me?

Can I go ahead and boot to this DVD that is sent by Dell where on the label it says Reinstallation DVD, Windows Vista Ultimate 64BIT SP1?

snow

2.9K Posts

February 10th, 2009 13:00

Hi Snow,

If you install with the Vista Ultimate 64 Bit DVD, it will install Vista ULTIMATE on your machine - NOT Vista Home Premium.

1.1K Posts

February 10th, 2009 23:00

Hi Rebel9,

How nice to see your posting. I remember your very helpful guide in 2007 was the very essence in me able to do my clean install using Dell Express Vista Upgrade DVD.

Since Dell has provided me this Vista Ultimate 64bit DVD, I could install it on my computer then. I may have to call the MS to activate my OS-Does that sound correct? -I will be changing the chipset, the IMSM drivers and also putting in new RAM bought from Dell. Because I am making so many changes that my present Vista Home Premium 32bit COA may not be recognised for my Dell's Vista Ultimate 64bit os.

What do you think?

snow

137 Posts

February 11th, 2009 04:00

As the Dell reps ways. If you install your OS on a Dell PC using a Dell CD you do not need the COA as the software looks at the motherboard and activates itself using a code stored on it.

1 Message

December 24th, 2014 03:00

I was inquiring on the disc you mentioned you probably have sold or lost it by now but if you still have it contact me if possible.

Post edited to remove contact information via forum privacy policy. - Philip Yip

No Events found!