Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

November 2nd, 2009 21:00

Win 7 Upgrade Kit Contents?

I'm preparing to install Win 7 over XP Pro, haven't received the kit yet.  But hopeful!!

Does the kit include a web browser (IE??)  and an email client (Outlook Express??) or are those programs I must migrate from my current system?

How did all you successful folks handle saving your documents and settings?  I'm reading about Windows Easy Transfer but not sure that's what everyone does.

I'll much appreciate some information and advice.

Frank

99 Posts

Yes, it does come with IE 8.  No, it does not come with an e-mail client, no Outlook, but you can go to http://home.live.com/?showunauth=1&mcid=WLWave3Intro & download Windows Live Mail (which is like Outlook, but a little different, it can handle multiple e-mail accounts separately), the actual download is for multiple Windows Live apps, but you don't have to install them all.  No need to migrate, but you will want to export your e-mails, accounts & contacts to a file & burn them to a DVD/CD or external hard drive so that you can import them.

You well also want to back up all files that you don't want to loose. However, I'm not sure if it well do the same for XP, but for Vista, when you do a "Clean" install Windows 7 builds a file called "windows.old", which contains your Programs file folder(s), Windows file folder & User file folder from your old system, which can be accessed after you install.

You can go here for more information.

8 Posts

in windows 7 there is no outlook express or even windows mail (which was in vista), of course there is an internet explorer, version 8.

my best advice to you would be to just save everything to an external hard drive :)

96 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 08:00

OK, thanks for the help, Guys.  Guess I'll get an external hard drive and figure out for sure how to save my stuff to it.  I hope I can figure out how to move Outlook Express to Win 7.  It's the only email client I've had any experience with.

No Events found!