Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 13:00

Win 7 upgrade notification

I purchased a laptop in August.  I registered with Dell for the free upgrade.  Since Win 7 has been released now, how long will it be before I receive the notification that I can get my upgrade? 

November 4th, 2009 02:00

Well the system has been updated overnight ........ it now shows estimated shipping date of 15th November:emotion-12:

Time to contact Dell, again.

4 Posts

November 4th, 2009 03:00

This has not been handled well at all. I ordered my upgrade on 21 October and the status page remained blank for about a week, and then changed to estimated shipping date of 30 October - two days ago this was removed, replaced by a status of "ordered", then yesterday the est. shipping date changed to 18 November. I've requested further information via the contact form twice and have received a semi-automated reply saying that I should log in to the status page and view my status there!

Having a website that gives misleading information is worse than having no website at all - the process is clearly broken. Why could Dell not offer a facility to download the Windows 7 ISO and provide a product key via email?

Is there a contact phone number specifically for Windows 7 upgrade enquiries? I am starting to think that I will not buy from Dell in future, if this is not resolved soon.

50 Posts

November 4th, 2009 06:00

The UPS link for tracking the shipment doesnt work for UK customers i dont think.

My estimated shipping date went from 11/11, 28/10, 01/11 and now 11/11.

What i want to know is, say im caught cold and im not in when the delivery arrives (not my fault seen as dell provide NO information, and a very real possibility), and a neighbour takes the order for me, and subsequently keeps it for themselves...

How the hell would I know?

39 Posts

November 4th, 2009 09:00

my experience:

ordered november third, estimated shipment november 27??????

TWENTY FOUR DAYS JUST TO SEND IT???? incredible!

how things are if you're lucky enough (like finding a 400 leaf clover)  you would be able to register complete your order and recieve the kit in less than two months.

...edit....

there's nothing free, however it is, the price of the w7 copy was included in your laptop/desktop price, plus I did pay for shipping and handling, and no, i'm not crazy and filled with anger :emotion-13:, I just feel 24 days is a lot.

Wow me too thank you DELL:emotion-2:

4 Posts

Well, my status has now changed to Shipped with a working UPS tracking number. So, I take it all back! Thank you, Dell.

November 4th, 2009 13:00

Did everyone forget that the copy is free (not including possible charges to shipping and taxes)? And how high in demand this product is? I'm sure Dell is doing their best in getting it all out to us in time. Usually things given to us takes longer than a product we have to pay for. If any of you are that impatient then go spend the $$$ and get today at your nearest retail store.

It took over 90 days to receive the free 299.00 credit from Verizon for purchasing a FiOs bundle. All those freebee stuff we remember as a kid to turn in UPCs always said it would take 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks for delivery. 

I understand we are all excited to get our free copy, nothing wrong with that, but really cut Dell some slack lol. I rather stress over other things than stressing when Win 7 will finally be in my hands.

As long as Dell's system knows you have submitted the form and is giving you some sort of shipping date, it's okay, relax. And it's not hard to contact Dell if we need to.

I ordered my Win 7 the last week of October, and it's just shipped today according to my email notification. 

21 Posts

November 4th, 2009 14:00

Did everyone forget that the copy is free (not including possible charges to shipping and taxes)? And how high in demand this product is? I'm sure Dell is doing their best in getting it all out to us in time.

Really?  This is Dell doing their best?  Not having the software ready to go?  Not having a functioning tracking system?  Not providing a download link which would've been the easiest solution?  This is them doing their best?  When they knew Windows 7 was going to be in demand?  When they knew before the 22nd the names and address of the people who needed the upgrade?  When they had months to prepare?  Their best?  I don't think so.

You can call the Windows 7 upgrade free, but it's not like anybody was ever going to pay anything for it.  Dell had to offer the free upgrade or else their sales the last few months would've plummeted while people waited for Windows 7-based systems to become available.

I don't really see Dell deserving any slack here.  Maybe if they threw in a free copy of Office 2007 or something....

16 Posts

November 4th, 2009 17:00

[quote user="ravenneangelle"]Did everyone forget that the copy is free (not including possible charges to shipping and taxes)? And how high in demand this product is? I'm sure Dell is doing their best in getting it all out to us in time.

Really?  This is Dell doing their best?  Not having the software ready to go?  Not having a functioning tracking system?  Not providing a download link which would've been the easiest solution?  This is them doing their best?  When they knew Windows 7 was going to be in demand?  When they knew before the 22nd the names and address of the people who needed the upgrade?  When they had months to prepare?  Their best?  I don't think so.

You can call the Windows 7 upgrade free, but it's not like anybody was ever going to pay anything for it.  Dell had to offer the free upgrade or else their sales the last few months would've plummeted while people waited for Windows 7-based systems to become available.

I don't really see Dell deserving any slack here.  Maybe if they threw in a free copy of Office 2007 or something....

[/quote]

For what it's worth, Dell is not the only one screwing up here.  My free upgrade from Dell shipped today.  My free upgrade from Lenovo, however, is still in limbo.

November 5th, 2009 02:00

Congratulations on being picked up from 22 October. I'm still estimated shipping 15 November, despite ordering on the morning of 22nd October like you :emotion-12:

Would you mind posting here when you have received it to show how long it takes to deliver, and who actually delivers it in the UK, please?

Thanks

4 Posts

November 5th, 2009 02:00

The solution is infuriatingly simple - keep your customers properly informed of progress, and they won't get annoyed with you. How can Dell fail to grasp this simple fact?

50 Posts

November 5th, 2009 05:00

JinglemanMike i recieved my shipping E-Mail yesterday (4/11), so far it has gone:

11/3- Billing information recieved.

- Origin scan

-  Ontario - Departure scan

11/4- Arrival scan

- Lousville- Departure scan

-  Newark- Arrival scan

As you can see, the process had already begun before i even got the E-Mail from Dell. I expect it to take about 3-4 days for it travel from the US to the UK and to be delivered.

If anyone knows the last destination it goes to before its shipped i would be grateful!

16 Posts

November 5th, 2009 06:00

Never mind.

16 Posts

November 5th, 2009 07:00

For what it's worth, the Win 7 Upgrade arrived yesterday. This was ordered on 10/22/09, shipped 10/27/09 and was sent via USPS from Canada.

It didn't come from Canada, it came from Ontario, California.

Mine shipped from Rancho Cucamonga, California, which is adjacent to Ontario.

36 Posts

November 5th, 2009 07:00

For what it's worth, the Win 7 Upgrade arrived yesterday. This was ordered on 10/22/09, shipped 10/27/09 and was sent via USPS from Canada. Did the upgrade last evening, no reformat, but am considering wiping the drive and starting from scratch.

No Events found!