Windows General

Last reply by 01-11-2010 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Win 7 upgrade notification

I purchased a laptop in August.  I registered with Dell for the free upgrade.  Since Win 7 has been released now, how long will it be before I receive the notification that I can get my upgrade? 

Replies (158)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell is behaving very unprofessionally!  I am sure this will cost them customers.  I am surprised that they do not explain themselves on this holdup on the free upgrade offer.  My guess is that they laid off so many workers that they do not have the manpower to fill the orders in a timely manner.

This is my first computer purchased from Dell.  I do not plan to buy another from them.

I purchased a Family Pack of Win 7 Home premium.  I used 2 licenses to install it on my two homemade desktop computers.  I upgraded from Windows XP.  Thought I installed Win 7 and kept Win XP as a duel boot, I do not plan to use Win XP.  Win 7 is far more superior operating system!

So I have been using Win 7 since October 23 on my two desktops and therefore not in a hurry to get the free upgrade for the Dell notebook.  I was considering using the third license on the Dell Studio notebook, but I plan to use it only when I travel and I can get by with Vista for a while longer.

Dell is behaving like they want to get out of computer business.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I ordered & received Win7 from Dell only to find that my Dell 962 is incompaatible w/ Win 7...can't find any drivers to fix that and can't find any information about if/when drivers will become available. Anybody know anything about that?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have gotten a lot of changed shipping dates also, last date was November 22nd, but then a few days later I got a "shipped" email.  I revived the disk on Saturday.  One thing to note, the tracking info in the email sent me to the UPS tracking site, although the tracking number was a USPS number. So copy and paste the tracking number into google if the link sends you to the wrong carrier.

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

I honestly think that this whole windows 7 "FREE!!!" upgrade is total bs it took me 1 month to register my service tag and now my delivery date has been delayed by 2 Weeks!!!!! has anyone who recieved their upgrade pack done anything special to be leap froged ahead of other more patient users or is it totally random

Well you're certainly not doing yourself any harm by having a good old moan on this forum, as some of us have found that we 'coincidentally' got a 'shipped' status shortly after complaining here, despite having estimated ship dates some way away. In my case, I got my shipped status about 3 hours later. I suppose it could be a coincidence....but....

My concern now is that it seems well and truly stuck on the UPS side of things. From the tracking info, it moved swiftly from Ontario CA to Louisville KY, but has sat there for coming on 60 hours now. I know it has been the weekend, but it is now about 2:10pm Monday there (7:00pm here in UK), so I would have *thought* that it might have started moving again seeing it got there on Friday night. Further to that, my UPS scheduled delivery date has disappeared altogether from the tracking info page. It was for this Thursday. The way it seems to be moving now, I'd be surprised it arrives by then. Sick to my back teeth of it all really. My PC has been in dire need of a re-install for a couple of weeks, but I've put it off as I would have only had to upgrade to Win7 when it comes....and I don't want to have to go through it twice in a short space of time. So I've put up with the crashes and other issues in the hope they'd get their act together and get me my 'free' upgrade ASAP.

In my case, it is UPS who are the bad guys now. Although Dell still aren't my best friends considering the messing around I had before that. Sigh! :emotion-7:

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I haven't had any updated ship date since i last posted, it still shows as 12/04/2009. I am still hoping that it will be shipped well before that date....

Thanks to all who adviced me that i would receive my upgrade kit before the date displayed on dell's site..., Hopefully......

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

according to dell win7 site and confirmation email I recieved, my kit was shipped through UPS-SP on november 7, when I saw that I was pleasantly surprised, as I've been following other users experience with the shipment of the upgrade kit, and most are unpleasant. So, my reference number provided by dell is

*removed*

So I check UPS TRACKING SERVICE SAYS MY REFERENCE NUMBER DOESN'T EXIST NEITHER DOES A SHIPMENT RELATED TO IT, they guide me to UPS office in my country, and no luck, their answer is the same.

....edit....

it's like magic, I post this here and my shipment status is immediately updated yay!

3 Silver

At least Dell ships around the world tbf, i have been quitely frankly sickened by the fact that i cant buy a Team Pacquiao tshirt from nike because they wont ship to the UK.

Sickening. Also, Slitheen, 60 hours? Whats going on there, i presume that the tracking hasnt been updated, not that its stuck. Or its stuck in the middle of the atlantic.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I got mine it doesn't work...Unable to install.  spent the last hour on here trying to get tech support.  best I found was pages of lists of posible problems.  Tried the chat with live support but couldn't get anywhere...

3 Silver

I got mine it doesn't work...Unable to install.  spent the last hour on here trying to get tech support.  best I found was pages of lists of posible problems.  Tried the chat with live support but couldn't get anywhere...

Whats the problem? I had a little trouble with mine. Restart your comp, put the disc in, dont try and install yet, go on my computer> right click on the disc image> view files> and find a file that has 32/64bit in it, depending on what you ordered, and run that installer.

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

At least Dell ships around the world tbf, i have been quitely frankly sickened by the fact that i cant buy a Team Pacquiao tshirt from nike because they wont ship to the UK.

Sickening. Also, Slitheen, 60 hours? Whats going on there, i presume that the tracking hasnt been updated, not that its stuck. Or its stuck in the middle of the atlantic.

Normal 0 It's moving again now. They mustn't work weekends - well they do work weekends but only for people that have paid for the highest delivery rates like 'next day' etc - whereas Dell must have paid for the type that only moves on business days. Yours was shipped through the middle of the week...so you were lucky. This is the status of mine now:

NEWARK, NJ, US 11/09/2009 6:00 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

LOUISVILLE, KY, US 11/09/2009 4:11 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

LOUISVILLE, KY, US 11/07/2009 2:52 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

ONTARIO, CA, US 11/06/2009 8:19 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

11/06/2009 4:26 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

US 11/06/2009 9:10 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Next stop is Stansted. How long it sits there I don't know.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor