Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 13:00

Win 7 upgrade notification

I purchased a laptop in August.  I registered with Dell for the free upgrade.  Since Win 7 has been released now, how long will it be before I receive the notification that I can get my upgrade? 

13 Posts

Receive what?  The email?  The win 7 disc?  That doesn't really answer my question.  What I was asking is HOW LONG until I receive the notification to get my upgrade?  Will it be today?  Tomorrow?  Next week? 

13 Posts

I have already registered my service tag number with Dell about a month ago.  I have not received the notification to be able to order it yet.

• 

16.7K Posts

jpruessner,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

If you registerd to receive the Win 7 Upgrade then you should receive it.

940 Posts

There are 2 steps. First you need to register your service tag at https://win7.dell.com/ You should have gotten an email to complete the order. If you have not gotten the email then go back to the site and log in and you will now see the option to add the order to your cart. A few minutes later you will get an email order confirmation. Then when they ship you will get another email. So from your post is sounds to me that you now need to do the second part and add it to your cart.

21 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing.

4 Posts

I've been waiting for this myself... Is this really gunna happen?! I tried going to https://win7.dell.com/ but it just keeps loading...

October 22nd, 2009 14:00

Welcome to Dell Hell JP, I and millions of other frustrated Dell owners have been waiting for you ....  :emotion-4:

4 Posts

So whats the deal? was it a scam?

4 Posts

Well I assume the servers are overloaded and patience is required.  I registered a week ago for the windows 7 free upgrade and yesterday received an email informing me that my cart had an item of concern and of course there was windows 7 upgrade at 0 cost.  I filled out the shipping info and submitted my order, later receiving an email that my order was being processed.  Of course another email will be sent as soon as the item is shipped so I can track the package, nice and smooth.  But I know what dell hell is like being caught in it a few times and I have come to conclusion that patience and persistence are required...really not worth the anxiety.

I don't think its a scam, but I think actually getting the Win 7 discs in your hand is going to be a weeks/months long process. Notice how the Dell tech in this thread was very vague about the original question of 'when.' The fact that the screens keep 'loading, loading...' is a red flag right there.

This should be a quick click-click-click through some screens to get registered to get the disc. If you have problems and need to call Tech Support, it should be taken care of with 1 person, 1 phonecall, and a few minutes time. 

Everything has become a marathon test of patience anymore ... I'm going to try calling over the weekend. I've noticed that on weekends, when you get a live person at Tech Support, they are based in the Philippines. I've had 2 techs in the last couple months (for issues with my 1 year old Desktop) based there, and they remind of me of back in the old days when Dell support was based out of Texas and the US. They actually listen, they really know their 'stuff,' they're not reading from a script, they don't disconnect you if they're at a loss how to fix your problem, and they actually send follow up emails.

13 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 15:00

At least you got an email from them when you registered.  I registered and received nothing.  I try to register now and it won't let me saying that service tag has already been registered.  Dell won't send my password to login so I am stuck.  Phone support gets me nowhere.

I am just hoping that they are still in process of sending everyone an email notification and that it's not complete yet. I am still waiting patiently for my email too, the suspense is killing me! >.< heheh...

940 Posts

I did not get the email stating to finalize my cart. But I did log in to the site yesterday and finalized all 4 upgrades and immediatly recieved the order confirmation. Just be patcient when trying to log into the site for the next few days as everyone else will be trying at the same time and it will be very slow.

This is not a scam, Dell had the same issues a few years ago with the Vista upgrade and this time it is alot better but they still did not provide enough bandwidth to handle the overwelming demand. The way I understand it is they will start shipping about 2 weeks from today so you should have it within 3 weeks.

17 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 16:00

i bought my pc in august (fair enough they still havent got all the parts out to me) and resistered after going out and buying a keyboard an mouse that should have been packaged. I haven't recieved an email yet

my parents bought one 2 weeks ago registered and the have an email they should be getting it in 2 or 3 days although the "tax and packaging a shipping costs seem suspicious) £1.65 on a free item

that means based upon tax theres an £11 charge for the "free" windows 7else tax should be at 0 as uk tax rates at this time is 15%

And £13.35 delivery charge for a dvd in gem case that to post costs no more than £4 per item by a company such a dhs for a consumer.

so even tho it was advertised as free with just tax and nominal shipping fees this is not the case , been in touch with the office of fair trading who have requested me to email all the screenies , as the lady agreed this smacks of miss selling a product by deception.

October 22nd, 2009 16:00

just completed the order confirmation thing today,the site was so slow ,i guess lot of users  accessing it ,just waiting for the shipping date,i live in India so hope it wont  be delayed,,,just wanna know how much they will bill me for taxes and shipping it to India  ?

No Events found!