Windows General

Last reply by 01-11-2010 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Win 7 upgrade notification

I purchased a laptop in August.  I registered with Dell for the free upgrade.  Since Win 7 has been released now, how long will it be before I receive the notification that I can get my upgrade? 

Replies (158)
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Just to let you all know I've got it installed and I love it...well worth the hassle.

After all the stories I've heard of people running into issues and conflicts with the in-place upgrade method, I decided to do a full format and install....which amazingly these so called 'upgrade' discs DO let you do - to me they seem to be more like the full retail discs (but obviously OEM and tied to Dell specific machines). Here's what I did:

Backed up all my pics/vids/music/emails/bookmarks/important text and word docs/program installers, basically everything I needed off my old Vista installation, to my secondary hard drive. I then changed the BIOS setting to boot from CD/DVD so I could boot from the windows disc itself. From here, I chose custom (advanced) installation. Booting from the CD/DVD gives you the advanced option to format your drive/s, which you can't do when choosing the custom installation while in Windows. So I formated my C: drive....then I did a full, sparkling clean install of Windows 7. I was wary of that other Dell disc putting a load of bloatware on, so instead I used Windows update to catch a few drivers I needed, then went and installed Dell Support Centre off the actual website. This then gave me the option of geting the few remaining Dell specific drivers I needed....which I promptly installed. That all took not much more than an hour. Since then I've just been installing my old programs and putting all my stuff back off the secondary drive into my documents/pics/music/videos folders.

I've not run into a single issue, conflict or problem. I put this down to the clean install rather than the in-place upgrade. Sure, you have to back up all your important stuff and re-install drivers, programs, settings and-what-have-you, but at least you can be 100% positive that there are no phantom Vista files and registry entries cramping the style of  Windows 7.

I like Windows 7...it's very fast compared to Vista (maybe not quite as fast as XP though). It's just a bit confusing at first....what with the new style taskbar and all that, but I've got a feeling we're going to be very good friends. Right now I'm blowing a big fat raspberry at you, Windows Vista! LOL :emotion-4:

Again, good luck to you all for a speedy delivery and a problem free installation.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Just replying to this so I can stop receiving e-mail updates.  Yes, it's that annoying.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Just replying to this so I can stop receiving e-mail updates.  Yes, it's that annoying.

Me too really fed up now these cant be stopped :emotion-12:

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

My estimated shipping date was 11/11/09, and when it got to that date it just dissapeared. :emotion-12: I'm assuming I'll get another date later on sometime, but if they say they're delivering it on the 11th, they should. I've already had it say it would be delivered on the 29th October, and that never happened either.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I ordered on 21st October and got an estimate (after a few days) of 29th Oct. This then changed to 15th November, and it is now late on 15th and no sign of the status changing, I assume it will not be shipped today. I read of others ordering way after me and receiving their upgrade. I think the way Dell has dealt with this has been very poor, as the FAQs indicate any number of emails I should expect to receive, but I have actually received nothing.

I suppose I will now have to try to escalate into customer services. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I also ordered on October 21. One day before Win7 was released. My mistake 1 day later and I never've had these anger. I ordered a Studio 15. One day after the order was set I sent a email to Dell to ask, if it's somehow possible to get the notebook with win7 installed. I got no answer. When I received my notebook, vista 64 home prem was installed. I registered for the "free" upgrade (about 20 Euro / 29.8 USD) and saw, that I'm only "allowed" to get Win7 home premium. Normally that would be okay for me. But as I saw, that from date of win7 release Dell offered the same notebook with the identical configuration together with win7 professional, 64bit, I wrote in total 3 emails since I received my notebook on October 30th. I got no answer to any of these emails. Thanks good that I didn't configured something in the order that I pay for any "extra" support. I think Dell should close the sites where it's possible to write emails to them. It only cost them money - they don't use it. I will be fair - for 2 of the emails I got an automatically answer, that they've had technical problems and were not able to read the emails (hrhrhr) - that was the reaso for my 3rd email. But I'm sure they haven't soved the problem until now because about 7 days have left and I still got no answer.

As you all know, Dell often is a little bit more expensive than the most competitors. I made my experience with Dell at work with a Laditude and I was happy with it. So after crashing down my 3 year old Asus notebook I directly watched for a Dell (the Asus wasn't bad and they have an excelent support). Now I know that this was a big mistake. I will never buy again a notebook from this i-net-shop that is not able to answer emails or maybe think that private users are not important enough to give them support or answers. And no, I didn't gave them a call - I know that they would have answered my question but I don't want to spend any more money on that Dell also not by ringing them up. From my point of you from today, I will never buy something from Dell again. I think Dell doesn't know or forgot that you only should have 2 kind of customers - satisfied customers and very satisfied customers. And the target is to switch the first into the second.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I just cannot believe how hard it is to work with Dell for an Win7 upgrade. I bought one Dell in August, after 5 times contacting Dell, finally I have an Order Number, and the shipping is estimated to be December.   Total time I spend to get to this point is more than 5 hours.  Not just the time, I got so humiliated when talking to one Dell customer rep, he was insisting that I am using Window XP, not Vista, so I was not eligible for Dell Win7 free upgrade, etc. etc.

In October, I bought another PC from Ayer, I spent 5 minutes to sign up for the upgrade, I got the upgrade DVD in early November and I am already using the Win7 now.

3 Silver

slitheen....

You not think you can install W7 on another machine then? I had hoped to install it on my non dell laptop, can you not input the service tag from your dell machine during the installation?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi everyone, first post here.

I ordered a Studio XPS on June 27th, the day after the Dell Windows 7 Update Program was announced. After many, MANY delays, and having to reorder twice, i finally received my laptop on August 20th (!!!).

I immediately registered for the update program, and placed my order on October 22nd, on the very first day.

I am still waiting on my order, of course, nor do i have any estimated shipping date. I called Dell twice, and every week they tell me to call back the next week.

As of right now, november 16th, 5PM, i still do not have any information on my order. However, my neighbour ordered his windows 7 a day after i did, on october 23rd, and he received his order last week. BEFORE ME !! Doesn't Dell respect the first orders?!

No Dell employee seems to be able to give me ANY information on my order. Will I be receiving it before christmas?!

Needless to say, i will never be buying from Dell again, and I will make sure anyone I know doesn't also.

However, can anyone here help? Did everyone finally get their Windows 7?

Thanks a lot

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Doesn't Dell respect  the first orders

No - I still haven't got mine, having ordered on the 21st, even before you. The estimated shipping date is now blank and has already changed twice, I am getting nothing from Customer service. This seems a shambles.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor