Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2013 21:00

Window fresh install(recovery CD) Alienware m14x

Hi, recently I replaced my optical drive with Samsung 840 pro SSD. I would like to fresh install window 7 on the SSD. My question is is it possible to create window installation CD on a USB flash drive? If not, would I need to buy a optical drive to USB cable to connect my optical drive to my laptop for the installation? My M14x doesn't come with the window installation CD. where can I get that? shouldn't it come with the laptop?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Steve

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 30th, 2013 22:00

Hi wishlf,

You can install the operating system using the Operating Windows reinstallation USB key. Please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check what can be done. To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 1st, 2013 00:00

Since you have added a new drive its probably easier to clean install than use the Dell DataSafe with Factory partitions. This way you can get optimum performance by installing on the SDD and can wipe the conventional HDD and use it for additional storage.

If you can procure a Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD, you may convert it to a Bootable USB to do this follow page 300 of Windows Reinstallation Guide on a computer that has an optical drive. After that follow the instructions on page 6 of A Clean Install of Windows 7.

As you don't have a Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD, its probably easier for you to use the Activation Backup Recovery program (Step 1c of A Clean Install of Windows 7 in Windows Reinstallation Guide) to backup your Microsoft Windows 7 Product Activation and use a Windows 7 .iso from Digital River (Step 1b) to create a bootable USB. You may then follow the rest of the guide and use the Activation Backup and Recovery Program (Step 11b) to reactivate your Microsoft Windows 7 Product.

2 Posts

July 8th, 2013 16:00

Anyone know how can I get a dell reinstallation DVD? Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 9th, 2013 03:00

Anyone know how can I get a dell reinstallation DVD? Thanks

If you are from the United States fill out this form here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1&DoNotRedirect=y

If not then you will need to phone Dell Technical Support and hope to procure one that way.

If that fails you can use a Windows 7 .iso from Digital River for installation.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2015 07:00

@Ravi, I have the same issue, can you help me too? Win7 on a 2012 14x. Thanks.

1 Message

July 25th, 2018 22:00

Hello Mr.

I really need your help, I need to reinstall the recovey in my alienware m14x, please,  would you like to send me the link to dowload the image of the recovery disk of my laptop, my email is:

, this supposedly back to factory reset condition with windows 7 home premiun for alienware, and recovery the alienware programs, drivers, and stuffs, the service tag (S/N) is: 

M14X, I already installed a program (DellOSRecoveryTool) and said, there is not SO image difined for this product, I trayed for many forms and nothing...I can´t do nothig...I really appreciate your help to solve my problem..

1 Message

April 29th, 2020 09:00

Need help with new Alienware 14 I bought

No Events found!