Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2017 02:00

Windows 10 Home Bitlocker encrypted

I just bought a Inspiron 13 2-in-1. Now i see that my OS is Windows 10 home but my C: drive is 'Bitlocker encrypted'. As far as I know the Home edition doesn't have the Bitlocker application. How can i remove this encryption?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2017 09:00

Windows 10 does not support Bitlocker - only 10 Pro and Enterprise do.

Was this system purchased new from Dell, or from a third party - or refurbished?

August 12th, 2017 11:00

I know it shouldn't/doesn't but when i use disk management it mentions "NTFS (Bitlocker encrypted)" for both partitions. My PC is brandnew and purchased from Dell... All very strange.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2018 07:00

i got the same problem ... i tried to follow you advice, however "Manage BitLocker" couldn't be found in Window 10 home version .....

1 Message

April 16th, 2018 12:00

To manage bitlocker from W10 Home use command line (run as Administrator) and execute following:

check encryption status:

manage-bde -status C:

remove encryption:

manage-bde -off C:

if you have more drives, check and disable encryption on those 1st as keys are likely stored in primary partition.

I was bit shocked to see warning on bitlocker encryption when doing Bios and TPM upgrade from within windows 10 Home to restore Biometric functionality for Fingerprint reader and Windows hello as after last windows patch it stopped working completely.

1 Message

August 21st, 2018 04:00

I had an issue with an new Dell with Win 10 Pro.

I was trying to migrate the HDD to an SDD but would throw errors at me after the 1st minute trying to migrate.

Eventually I found in Computer Management that the HDD was BitLocker encrypted. However, under 'BitLocker Drive Encryption' BitLocker was off.

Running your command prompt has worked perfectly!

Many thanks.

October 12th, 2018 14:00

33 Posts

February 11th, 2019 06:00

my primary question now is what to do next, what can a user do to recover from this, I have at this point sent harddrive to a professional recovery company who has determined this to be a non recoverable situation.  I cannot afford this to have happened.  I cant see any reason for this to have happened in first place, but it did.  according to the recovery company the bitlocker recovery key within the harddrive that was encrypted has been corrupted sowehow,  possibly due to a recovery attempt prior to disabling bitlocker, which how could one disable something that they did not even know existed at all

33 Posts

February 11th, 2019 06:00

This is wonderful info, especially when your computer operates so you can do this, what if your pc crashes, win 10 home version and user or owner in my case and administrator has no knowledge about encryption nor that is on my system, especially when everything I have read states that bitlocker is not supported by win 10 home.  There is no way to boot the system at all, again, no knowledge about encryption at all after using pc for 1 year nothing ever indicated bitlocker encryption, however I just read where if your pc meets certain standards auto encryption happens similar to that of cell phone, however that same article assumes the user is fully aware of that happening and has the ability to disable it prior to a crash or needed service, would that not be a good thing to know especailly when you never know when your drive will crash in first place.  I dont send it in for an oil change or tire rotation.  There are a lot of problems with this situation and I have lost years worth of work because of it.  which took many hours of research and looking into this from a paid tech locally, i now have the bitlocker key, but is useless because system will not accept it it is that messed up, why does this now show to be an automatic happening, once your system is setup and running, seems odd that a user does not have the knowledge of this yet it is presumed that a user will know his key and how to disable this operation prior to a computer crash

1 Message

March 23rd, 2020 00:00

I am a South Korean user of a Dell laptop.
Bitlocker was never solved in any way. "Never" "Never"
Because of this, I have blown away all of the incredibly important biological research data for five years. I lost about 700,000 dollars in research expenses. And I couldn't submit research evidence, so I became a researcher.
I am Very very angry. I hated Dell computers.
Throwing Dell computers out of the window right now is good for mental health.

No Events found!