Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 24th, 2017 09:00

Windows 10 Recovery Drive. Can't create one.

Brand new yesterday Inspiron3668 desktop.

Following advice from Dell to create a recovery drive.

Using a new unused 32GB USB drive. I connect the USB (formatted FAT32) and select Next in the create recovery drive window (Back up system files to the recovery drive is left ticked).

Green bar moving across the "Please wait" window for a few minutes.

Next message is The drive must be able to hold at least 16 GB, and everything on the drive will be deleted.

The Next button at the bottom is greyed out, leaving me with the only option of cancelling.

What am I doing wrong please?

Any ideas fixes etc. gratefully received.

9.4K Posts

August 24th, 2017 10:00

Hi johnvictor,

Thanks for posting.

Here's some information you may find helpful: http://dell.to/2w7Y2Dw

http://dell.to/2w8ljoL

58 Posts

August 24th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for the links DELL-Robert P. I thought that reformatting the drive to NTFS was going to be the answer but unfortunately it wasn't. I followed the instructions to the letter and watched the video but I still can't create the recovery drive. I've tried two brand new 32GB USB drives and just get to where it asks me to connect the drive and it does nothing. The "Next" button remains greyed out and my only option is to Cancel. How can such a simple task be so difficult to do?

58 Posts

August 24th, 2017 15:00

I've done some research DELL-Robert P and just happened to see an item which said the only way to do it is to switch the machine off, install the USB Drive then reboot the machine with the drive already in situ. I've tried this and lo and behold it is actually creating the drive as I type. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it completes the task or I'm going to be stuck further. Why this isn't common knowledge I really don't know. I'll post here again if it screws up. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

9.4K Posts

August 25th, 2017 09:00

You're welcome.  I'm not sure why that isn't common knowledge.  Thanks for posting back and letting everyone know.

No Events found!