Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2016 18:00

Windows 10 won't stay shut down - restarts

However I try to shut down my computer, via Windows button>Shut down or via power button, it shuts down, power light goes off. Only to restart almost instantly. First happened a few weeks ago and I spent hours searching the web and Microsoft support and trying out solutions. Hours online chat with their technical support. Ended up having to go back to factory settings (can't remember detail now - is that "refresh" Windows?) and start from scratch again. And now the same thing is happening again. Happened sometime in the last couple/few days. I am not a happy bunny.

I'm not keen on reinstalling my apps and their settings, including my email settings in Outlook, yet again. Am hoping maybe someone here knows what is likely to have triggered it and what to do.

Dell XPS 1300. Less than 4 months old. Windows 10. Anything else you need to know about it?

Thanks in advance for help.

• 

16.7K Posts

May 23rd, 2016 11:00

clarer1,

You can click the links below for possible resolutions to the computer restarting when you shut it down.

You can first try the steps below.

Control Panel > 
Power Options (Change what the power buttons do) >
Change settings that are currently unavailable >
*DISABLE* - Turn on fast start-up.

You can also check the bios and change the settings there as well. To boot into the bios start the computer and TAP the F2 key. 

Check the "fast boot" option in BIOS and and disable it.

Windows 10 restarts after selecting shutdown

1 Message

January 25th, 2022 14:00

This was great. I am not a computer guy and this was driving me crazy. I "DISABLE" Turn on fast start up and the problem is fixed. I did not have to go into the BIOS.

Thanks!!

162 Posts

July 27th, 2022 21:00

There are several reasons why your Windows 10 might not shut down. Learn how to fix this problem so you can keep working in the future. Try one of these fixes!

Method 1. Force shutdown
Before you get to troubleshooting, try forcing your computer to shut down. Here's how:

To shut down your computer, press and hold its power button until the screen goes black.
Unplug your computer from the power outlet. If you’re using a laptop, remove any batteries in the case or attached to your device. Make sure to wait 5-10 minutes before reconnecting your device to power.
Start your computer again and try to shut it down from Windows 10 itself. See if power-cycling has fixed this issue.

Method 2. Disable Fast Startup
Fast Startup is a confusing and sometimes even harmful feature. It can cause problems with shutdown, for instance. Follow these steps below in order to disable Fast Startup mode so it doesn't cause issues.

Click on the Windows icon in your taskbar, and then search for the Control Panel. Launch the application from the search results.

Click on Power Options. If you can’t see this, make sure to switch the view mode to either Large icons or Small icons.

Click on the Choose what the power button does link in the left-side pane. You’ll be redirected to a new page.

Before you can make changes, you need to click on the “Change settings that are currently unavailable” link. This will unlock your options.

Make sure to uncheck the Turn on fast startup (recommended) option. Make sure to click the Save changes button to apply the changes before attempting to shut down your computer again.

Method 3. Update Windows 10 to the latest version
An update to your operating system may fix a lot of underlying issues, such as shutdown not working. Download the latest version of Windows and see if the problem still persists.

Click on the Windows icon in the bottom left of your screen to bring up the Start menu. Choose Settings, or use the Windows + I shortcut.

Click on the Update & Security tile. This is where you can find most of your Windows Update settings and choose when to receive updates.

Make sure to stay on the default Windows Update tab. Click on the Check for updates option and wait for Windows to find available updates. If you see any updates displayed, click on the View all optional updates link to see and install them.

When Windows finds a new update, click on the Install option. Wait for Windows to download and apply the necessary updates.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

February 7th, 2023 11:00

I had a similar problem on a 7240, I tried all sorts of configuration changes, but then when I set the laptop to boot in safe mode with most drivers therefore disabled, the problem still occurred. I saw someone had mentioned the CMOS battery. I removed it, which is difficult on the E7240, it is pretty buried. But on reboot it shutdown and stayed shutdown. I checked the battery with the voltmeter and it was still holding 3 volts. So I replaced it and the laptop booted and shutdown correctly. So it seems that temporarily removing the battery fixed the problem.

346 Posts

February 22nd, 2023 01:00

Search for 'system' (without quotes) in the Control Panel's search bar. Click on 'View advanced system settings'. Click on the 'Settings' button next under Startup and Recovery. Under the System Failure area in the newly opened panel, uncheck the 'Automatically restart' option.

No Events found!