Highlighted
originalsnuffy
1 Nickel

Windows 7 Dell Upgrade Discs: both 32 bit and 64 bit versions?

Dell is participating in the multi-vendor Windows 7 upgrade program for machines purchased with Vista after June 26.

What is not obvious to me is whether the discs Dell customers will receive under the program will have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7.

My understanding is that the retail upgrade discs from Microsoft will in fact have both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Will Dell be tracking which version of Vista came with our machine, and only send out the exact version for Windows 7?

In other words, if the machine came with Vista 32 bit, will the equivalent version of Windows 7 go out with only the 32 bit version?

If Dell is only sending our 32 bit or 64 bit versions, will Dell have a program in place to provide for a switch up to 64 bit?  Right now Dell has a policy (endorsed by Mircosoft) that provides 64 bit discs to 32 bit users upon request.  Dell, appropriately, makes it clear that the support is only for 32 bit versions if that was the operating system originally shipped, but the user can install the 64 bit version of Vista if they so choose.

Clearly I am hoping that a 64 bit version of Windows 7 will be an option, even though my machine shipped with a Vista 32 bit version (in my case business edition, but that is not really important to this discussion).

Please chime in if you know what the policy will be or have some general input to the discussion.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Windows 7 Dell Upgrade Discs: both 32 bit and 64 bit versions?

We are primarily users on here, not Dell employees.  If there is nothing official from Dell on the policy, my "guess" is that they will supply the version that you got with the PC.  Same way on the Retail "upgrade" versions, it's my understanding that the upgrade will upgrade whatever Vista bit version you have to the same Windows 7 bit version.  There will probably be hacks around to, for example allow you to upgrade a 32 bit to 64 bit.

Others "in the know" may have more or different info.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

To add to that--Dell has nothing to do with this. Dell will send whatever Microsoft provides on the OEM Upgrade Disk. Try researching this on the Windows 7 site. I know that when I preordered the upgrade from MS, I had to specify 32 or 64 bit version. But it sounds like you will be able to do a custom install, wipe out the 32 bit version and install the 64 bit. You cannot upgrade from 32 to 64 without a disk reformat & custom install. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions Ordering the Home Premium upgrade on the MS site now will get you both 32 & 64 BIT versions. It says this: This product includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade/product/B0F9E641

0 Kudos
originalsnuffy
1 Nickel

Well, we are getting closer to D-Day.  Do we have any further clarifications as to whether Dell is going to ship discs with only 32 bit or only 64 bit versions or both?

0 Kudos