Highlighted
N/A

Windows 7: Download legit disk images (SP1 included)

Just in case you need to reinstall from a clean and up to date disk, or your recovery partition has been killed - since we've just learned that Dell doesn't provide replacement disks - you'll find Windows 7 iso disk images here:

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

The images are hosted by Digital River, who also run the Microsoft Store. So there's no legal issue here, and you can also be sure that the disks haven't been tampered with.

32 Replies

Re: Windows 7: Download legit disk images (SP1 included)

thisisjustincase,

Thank you for posting this information.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
Diamond

Just know that this media will not automatically work to activate Windows using the Product Key (license) on the side of your Dell computer.  You will have to call Microsoft to activate over the phone ... usually a painless, 2-minute phone call.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Diamond

thisisjustincase just to let you know I have compiled alot of download information of genuine links given from various websites for Microsoft Products which could be useful to Dell users. They are updated here:

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Diamond

I have updated the wiki updating the previous links with the ones provided by you. Thanks.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
N/A

Vista is also available from Digital River:

www.heidoc.net/.../57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

It requires some manual work to create disk images from the setup files though.

There are also some more Office editions and laguages:

Office 2010: www.heidoc.net/.../18-office-2010-direct-download-links

Office 2007: www.heidoc.net/.../51-office-2007-direct-download-links

Works 9.0: www.heidoc.net/.../55-microsoft-works-9-0-direct-download-links

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Diamond

Thanks that is excellent I have incorporated all into my wiki and added thanks to you at the bottom. I am downloading the Vista setup files and will mess around to find an easy way to create a Vista botoable USB or DVD and report my findings in the guide once done.

Hopefully the guides will make things easy/be useful to ,many of the Dell users. My idea on Dell IdeaStorm for Dell here to make Dell customised Windows .iso files is picking up some momentum and is now under review so hopefully something will be brought to light.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
eddyq1
Copper

RE: Windows 7: Download legit disk images (SP1 included)

thisisjustincase: I looked at your link (http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links) but don't see a link to download the ISO.I do see 3 links but those require purchase. Since I own a DELL that came with Windows 7 then I would expect a link that I don't need to pay for.

There are lots of links and I may have missed it. Can someone please tell me the name of the link?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
Diamond

Just because you bought a license for Windows, that does not entitle you to a download of anything. Those links are there specifically for only one purpose - order fulfilment when purchased directly through Microsoft. They just happen to be public, open links that work with Microsoft licensing.

The links are visible to me. What version are you looking for, and what country are you in?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Diamond

thisisjustincase: I looked at your link (http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links) but don't see a link to download the ISO.I do see 3 links but those require purchase. Since I own a DELL that came with Windows 7 then I would expect a link that I don't need to pay for.

There are lots of links and I may have missed it. Can someone please tell me the name of the link?

See here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-w...

The video gives an example of downloading an English .iso.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos