Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 13th, 2011 08:00

Windows 7: Download legit disk images (SP1 included)

Just in case you need to reinstall from a clean and up to date disk, or your recovery partition has been killed - since we've just learned that Dell doesn't provide replacement disks - you'll find Windows 7 iso disk images here:

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

The images are hosted by Digital River, who also run the Microsoft Store. So there's no legal issue here, and you can also be sure that the disks haven't been tampered with.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 13th, 2011 12:00

Just know that this media will not automatically work to activate Windows using the Product Key (license) on the side of your Dell computer.  You will have to call Microsoft to activate over the phone ... usually a painless, 2-minute phone call.

• 

16.7K Posts

September 13th, 2011 12:00

thisisjustincase,

Thank you for posting this information.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 14th, 2011 13:00

thisisjustincase just to let you know I have compiled alot of download information of genuine links given from various websites for Microsoft Products which could be useful to Dell users. They are updated here:

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 16th, 2011 18:00

I have updated the wiki updating the previous links with the ones provided by you. Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 21st, 2011 00:00

Vista is also available from Digital River:

www.heidoc.net/.../57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

It requires some manual work to create disk images from the setup files though.

There are also some more Office editions and laguages:

Office 2010: www.heidoc.net/.../18-office-2010-direct-download-links

Office 2007: www.heidoc.net/.../51-office-2007-direct-download-links

Works 9.0: www.heidoc.net/.../55-microsoft-works-9-0-direct-download-links

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 21st, 2011 02:00

Thanks that is excellent I have incorporated all into my wiki and added thanks to you at the bottom. I am downloading the Vista setup files and will mess around to find an easy way to create a Vista botoable USB or DVD and report my findings in the guide once done.

Hopefully the guides will make things easy/be useful to ,many of the Dell users. My idea on Dell IdeaStorm for Dell here to make Dell customised Windows .iso files is picking up some momentum and is now under review so hopefully something will be brought to light.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2014 15:00

thisisjustincase: I looked at your link (http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links) but don't see a link to download the ISO.I do see 3 links but those require purchase. Since I own a DELL that came with Windows 7 then I would expect a link that I don't need to pay for.

There are lots of links and I may have missed it. Can someone please tell me the name of the link?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 21st, 2014 16:00

Just because you bought a license for Windows, that does not entitle you to a download of anything. Those links are there specifically for only one purpose - order fulfilment when purchased directly through Microsoft. They just happen to be public, open links that work with Microsoft licensing.

The links are visible to me. What version are you looking for, and what country are you in?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 21st, 2014 18:00

thisisjustincase: I looked at your link (http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links) but don't see a link to download the ISO.I do see 3 links but those require purchase. Since I own a DELL that came with Windows 7 then I would expect a link that I don't need to pay for.

There are lots of links and I may have missed it. Can someone please tell me the name of the link?

See here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/

The video gives an example of downloading an English .iso.

December 26th, 2014 17:00

Hi, 

Is this the 32 bit version for windows 7?  I am unable to install MS office 365 with the current Vista Home Basic OS due to compatibility issues.  

I'm a student and my laptop crashed, I was given this older Dell laptop and I think I've figured what I need and how to do it... I need to upgrade the OS from Vista Home Basic to Window 7. I'm pretty sure I need to get the 32 bit version of Windows 7 NOT the 64 bit version.

Since I am a student, I obviously don't have $150 to purchase the CD/DVD, so I am looking for a free download of Windows 7/ 32 bit.

Please advise if there is anything else I need to know, thank you.

noblepainter

December 26th, 2014 18:00

Hi, thanks for your quick response.  The model is:  VOSTRO A860
OK, skip windows 8. I don't necessarily need to have the student version of software, just mentioned my student status to emphasize my lack of budget - lol.
So you're saying that by holding off on the evaluating the software it will allow me to use the technical preview version longer?
I will make sure that Windows 10 is compatible with the Windows upgrade adviser, thanks
noblepainter

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Hi, 

Is this the 32 bit version for windows 7?  I am unable to install MS office 365 with the current Vista Home Basic OS due to compatibility issues.  

I'm a student and my laptop crashed, I was given this older Dell laptop and I think I've figured what I need and how to do it... I need to upgrade the OS from Vista Home Basic to Window 7. I'm pretty sure I need to get the 32 bit version of Windows 7 NOT the 64 bit version.

Since I am a student, I obviously don't have $150 to purchase the CD/DVD, so I am looking for a free download of Windows 7/ 32 bit.

Please advise if there is anything else I need to know, thank you.

noblepainter

Model of Dell? This way we can determine 64 Bit compatibility.

Windows Vista has been ended prematurely; no Office 2013/365 or IE10/11 due to its lack of popularity. Microsoft will still offer security updates until 2017 but its pretty much dead.

There is no free version of Windows 7 for students outside of a MSDN/DreamSpark program which not all Universities or University Departments have. Installation with the .isos mentioned above without a product key will only work for 30 days. Moreover Windows 7 has reached end of sales and is more expensive than Windows 8.1.

My advise is to install Windows 10 Technical Preview and hold on evaluating Windows 10 until Windows 10 is released, at this time there should be a promotional deal where you should get a student discount or just a general discount. See my A Clean Install of Windows 10 for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Hi, thanks for your quick response.  The model is:  VOSTRO A860
OK, skip windows 8. I don't necessarily need to have the student version of software, just mentioned my student status to emphasize my lack of budget - lol.
So you're saying that by holding off on the evaluating the software it will allow me to use the technical preview version longer?
I will make sure that Windows 10 is compatible with the Windows upgrade adviser, thanks
noblepainter

That system is a netbook, use the 32 Bit version of Windows 10 - in most cases if it came with Vista or later it will work with Windows 10.

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 05:00

As I said, I'm looking for Windows 7 and I have a DELL so it would follow that I want the distribution that came with my DELL. I'm in the US.

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 06:00

natakuc4, Thank you for your reply. That is exactly what I'm looking for.
No Events found!