Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2009 07:00

Windows 7 Free Upgrade - Tax & Shipping charges UK

Does anyone know what the shipping and handling charges are for the Windows 7 'Free' Upgrade program if you are in the UK?
I would like to understand what these charges are before committing to a purchase of a qualifying Vista laptop.

Basically I want to see if I'm going to be better off waiting a week until the new Windows 7 laptops come along and if there will be better deals or not. The deals on the Studio laptops look to be good at the moment and I imagine Dell is offering good deals at the moment since everyone is holding back for the Windows 7 release.

40 Posts

October 15th, 2009 20:00

I could not find anything official from Dell on their Windows 7 site when my friend in Ireland got their Vista Upgrade kit the shipping and handling charges were around $10.00US.

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 10:00

Well it's official now that the word "free" is only applicable in the US and the rest of us get ripped off (again!) for "shipping".  And in the UK that equates to £15, which is hardly free is it!

I hoped with all the negative press these (not so) free upgrades had had that a company as respected as Dell would act better, but I guess they're as grabbing as all the others.

Lesson learned for next time.

November 11th, 2009 15:00

Yes,

I've just been to order my four registered FREE windows 7 update kits and the shipping charge inc £3.00 tax is £60.

Had a look elsewhere and in europe it's 80 euros and almost everywhere else it's Free.

My four dell laptops I bought direct from dell (which qualify for the FREE upgrade) were all delivered free.

What a rip off. Complain like mad guys!

Regards

Richardg

2 Posts

November 12th, 2009 01:00

To top it even more my disk has arrived damaged :(

39 Posts

November 12th, 2009 06:00

Maybe it's payback for the EU screwing Microsoft.

November 14th, 2009 00:00

Hi,

And did you just get a disk in a jiffy bag or was fully retail packaged? Where did it come from?

How much did it cost?

I've registered for four machines, it looks like they are charging £15 each machine, haven't got the brains to put them all in one

package I don't suppose. Maybe I'll just go for one and install it four times or is that illegal, let me see, oh! yes it is :emotion-2:

Charging £60 delivery charges isn't illegal, but saying that it's a free upgrade when it clearly isn't, is illegal in my book.

'nuff to make you spit!

No Events found!