Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 1st, 2011 04:00

Windows 7 & Microsoft Office Professional 2010, Invalid Key!!!!

Hi,

I recently purchased a refurbished L502X i7 laptop, so I also bought a copy of Microsoft Office Professional 2010 Pro. Ran set-up from the DVD and entered the Product Key and all went according to plan... Started up Excel and confronted with the Activation Wizard. Selected to Register via Internet and came back with, "This product cannot be activated because the product key is not valid".

I also used the Start Menu Option of "Microsoft Office 2010" utility, "This is not a valid Office Product Key".

The software was purchased from a Microsoft registered seller...

Any help gratefully received,

Barton.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 1st, 2011 05:00

First, verify that you have the Product Key identified correctly.  For example it's easy to misinterpret the Letter "O" with the Number "0" or the Letter "I" and Number "1".   If you are certain you have the correct Product Key you can contact Microsoft to try and get it activated (I had to do that with a legal copy of Windows 7 after I replaced the motherboard with an exact same board).   Nothing we can do to help you wth the activation.  It's not a PC or Windows problem, it appears to be strictly MS Office.

19 Posts

July 1st, 2011 06:00

@Fireberd, I tried numerous attempts, but product key had no ambiguous alphanumerics...

19 Posts

@Cays, you could be right, but it was purchased as a full version, but again where would it say, or would it even install a full version?

Guessing games lol

Thanks again for your posts,

Barton

8 Posts

A further possible reason for your problem could be a wrong program version.

E.g., it is very easy to mistake a full Office version by an update version.

8 Posts

(Barton, sorry for suggesting a matter of course.)

19 Posts

But does the L502X come with MS Office 2010 pre-installed? Is this affecting Office activation. I'm an I.T. pro with 20 years experience, and something plying up. I even used the activation by phone, and that failed...

19 Posts

Thanks, but it did state "Full Version".

19 Posts

July 1st, 2011 07:00

Just had a Dell Downloads notice, and selected to register:

smartsource.dell.com/.../RegisterSystem.aspx

This test just hangs, and never returns?

8 Posts

July 1st, 2011 08:00

It seems you have only the setup program and no description or package. Else you could read it there.

I guess that the Dell preinstalled version is only a trial version.

Anyway, what I would do is uninstall completely all Office 2010 components. Then I would try to install in from scratch with the bought program version.

19 Posts

July 1st, 2011 09:00

"office 2010 product key you provided is blocked for activation" - Oh Dear...

19 Posts

July 1st, 2011 09:00

I removed the Dell Office installed stuff and tried again, but same issue, invalid key. Is there anyway I can validate / decode the product key online to find out the Office product?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 1st, 2011 17:00

There was another recent post by a user that had a new Dell with the Office 2010 Trial or Option to buy installed.  They didn't first uninstall that and instead installed their own Office version and it had problems.  They had to completely reinstall from the Dell recovery partition back to the original Dell disk image, then uninstall the Trial version with "Revo Uninstaller" (free program) which also will search and remove registry entries and left over files.  Then restart the PC and finally install the Office version they had.

(I too go back many years in computers and used to be a LAN/WAN Network Manager and was Novell CNE certified).

3.7K Posts

July 2nd, 2011 03:00

I installed over it, because I was unaware it was pre-installed :(

Ah, the good olde days, administrate a server with with one, create apps' with Borland with the other. How I miss BanYanVines and Novell, poor old Borland and Phillppe Kahn. Bye Bye Fortran, object pascal and Gandalf... Oh IBM DOS, lovely times :(

I don't know it you have seen this, because I skipped to the last post. But, there is a journal from microsoft below about your problem,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178

19 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 03:00

I installed over it, because I was unaware it was pre-installed :(

Ah, the good olde days, administrate a server with with one, create apps' with Borland with the other. How I miss BanYanVines and Novell, poor old Borland and Phillppe Kahn. Bye Bye Fortran, object pascal and Gandalf... Oh IBM DOS, lovely times :(

19 Posts

July 4th, 2011 05:00

Many thanks, I went through the questions and of course ended up at the final notice, phone home ET.

It did mean that I did the sanity check, so thanks again for the suggestion.

No Events found!