Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 4th, 2013 03:00

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit vs. 64-bit

I will soon be configuring a new Dell unit with an i7 CPU, SSD & a good NVIDIA video card and my customer has specifically requested that the Windows 7 Professional 32-bit OS be installed on it due to the fact that he will be running only older legacy apps on there (with the exception of Office 2013, but which I will still be installing the 32-bit version of).  Other than the fact that it will only address 4GB of RAM (which is no big deal to him), is there any other compelling reason not to install it instead of the 64-bit version?

I'm wondering if the overall performance of the OS will be affected based on how it interacts with the CPU or some-such?  (I'm speaking of the 64-bit version here).  At this point in time there are few, if any 64-bit programs available that the average home user could (or would) utilize; he doesn't do any video or even photo editing or any other high-end, processor-intensive activities on the computer.

Plus, this would save having to install dual versions of some of the other routine apps, such as Java & IE 10, etc.

If & when he ever goes "up" to Windows 8 or (at this point) Windows "Blue" then it might make some sense, but he just doesn't use any new and / or "high-powered" programs which would benefit from a 64-bit version of Windows, as far as I can tell.

I'm open for any compelling reasons to go 64-bit under the circumstances (other than the RAM issue, which is actually a non-issue) at this point in time...

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 5th, 2013 12:00

Apps don't have to be 64-bit to run on a 64-bit app ... 32-bit apps work just fine in a 64-bit OS.  Like you said, Microsoft introduced the first 64-bit version of Office in Office 2010, but they still recommend running the 32-bit version on a 64-bit OS.

There are only a handful of reasons that a 32-bit app won't run correctly on W7x64.  For example, 2003 remote server management tools will not run on 64-bit.  There are more 32-bit apps that won't run in Windows 7 because it is Windows 7 than 32-bit apps that won't run in 64-bit Windows because it is 64-bit.  Having run them on Vista means that they will "probably" also work on Window 7, as Vista has many of the same requirements and restrictions as Windows 7.

I would look here for the specific apps and versions that he will plan to run:

www.microsoft.com/.../Home

"Why have a 64-bit OS if you're only (ever) going to be running 32-bit programs on it?"

The best reason?  Right now, he only has 32-bit applications.  Is he going to upgrade to 64-bit applications all at once?  Probably not - one at a time, probably as needed.  Software companies may not feel they need to write for the 64-bit platform in the near future, so 64-bit apps may not ever be available for a product, and/or not available when he and his other apps are ready for the jump to 64-bit, so having 64-bit already installed just lets him upgrade as each is available and he is ready to upgrade that app.  Keeping in mind that there is NO in-place upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit, a full reinstall will be required to move to 64-bit - potentially a disruptive amount of downtime, re-adusting settings and preferences, updates, reinstalling programs, etc.  Also, say he begins maxing out his RAM (max of around 3.5GB for 32-bit) ... a memory upgrade will require a reinstall of 64-bit before any more memory will be usable.  With 64-bit, he can throw all the memory his system will support at it with only a reboot to install the memory in the system.

My thought:  If it will work on Windows 7x64, and this is a mid-long term solution, there is no reason not to use it.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Why have a 64-bit OS if you're only (ever) going to be running 32-bit programs on it?

Because the OS can address more than 4 GB of RAM. The programs individually may not be able to address more than 4 GB of RAM but memory usage does mount up when a lot of programs are open. I don't know how much of a power user your customer is but there are some advantages of having more memory or the ability to add more memory.

If the programs can all run on 64 bit then go for it. Its more or less becoming the standard version of Windows these days. Microsoft recommended the 32 bit version of Office when it came out, not because the 64 bit version of Office didn't work aswell but rather non-Microsoft 3rd party addins didn't work in Office 2010 when it was released. For me it took some time for both Mendeley Desktop and Mathtype to release a 64 bit compatible addin - I now use the 64 bit version.

I would recommend sticking to the 64 bit unless a program doesn't run on 64 bit but most programs will.

Most programs these days will run on both 32 and 64 bit Windows. I don't know how long it will be until programs are written 64 bit only.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 5th, 2013 13:00

The end of 32-bit OS's is in sight.  Server OS's have already dumped 32-bit ... Servers 2008R2 and 2012 are 64-bit only.  It was thought early on that Windows 8 would also be 64-bit only, but I think the fact that they tried to make it compatible with computers that are capable of running Windows 7 and the mobile platforms put that on the backburner for now, but there is a very good chance that the next [major] Windows release may not even come in a 32-bit version.  I also heard that Microsoft told developers with the release of Windows 7 that they had 6 years to port their stuff to 64-bit (puttting that around 2015 - historically, the projected date of Windows 9).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 4th, 2013 05:00

I assume you are configuring an OptiPlex as its a business model.

64 bit can address more RAM which is useful.

Note it depends on what your customer is using.

Windows 7 comes with Windows XP Mode, many legacy applications can be installed in XP Mode and if using XP Mode, the more RAM the better so the 64 bit OS is recommended. However the 32 bit is recommended if running some legacy hardware with the computer e.g. in my case some Scientific Instruments.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 4th, 2013 09:00

"I'm wondering if the overall performance of the OS will be affected based on how it interacts with the CPU or some-such?"

Any small difference for most applications will only be noticeable on a benchmark.

Investigate the specific apps he is using.  There are VERY few that work on 32-bit that will not work on 64-bit.  There are, however, more that won't work properly because it is Windows 7.  What version of Windows was he previously running these apps on?  If XP and if the software pre-dates Vista, then you will most likely need to use some sort of workaround for it to work (compatibility modes, non-default install folders, etc.).

51 Posts

To elaborate a little more, all apps that he is running (Quicken Basic, Office & some legal programs) will run just fine in a 32-bit environment (he's on Vista Business 32-bit at the moment) and he does not anticipate adding any in the future that are 64-bit.  Again, no video or graphics editing or anything like that.  The goal is total simplicity and not to make the OS have to do any "tricks", such as run in XP mode or even a "virtual" 32-bit mode.  RAM is not an issue, as the stuff he runs does quite well with the 4GB he will have.  At some point in the future, when normal, everyday programs are ported up to 64-bit, then it makes more sense to upgrade the OS to the same thing.  My concern (which seems to have been answered by theflash1932) was that, due to the 3rd Gen i7 CPU, the 32-bit version of Windows might not fully utilize all of the capabilities, but apparently with low-end applications it doesn't really matter all that much.  The mentality here is "just the minimum it takes to do the job".  Even Microsoft recommends installing the 32-bit version of Office for total compatibility reasons, thus the rational here is:  Why have a 64-bit OS if you're only (ever) going to be running 32-bit programs on it?

Further commentary is invited...

51 Posts

May 9th, 2013 01:00

The client decided to go with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Pro, which I fortunately still have a Dell OEM DVD for.

He stated simply that he does not now have (nor will he have anytime soon) any 64-bit programs and wants ensured compatibility with all the ones he now currently uses; he will be using the 32-bit version of Office 13 Home & Business as well.  Maybe, just maybe, when Windows "Blue" comes out (& if MS has put the Start Button back where it belongs) he will be persuaded to sneak on up to the 64-bit version of it.  Time will tell, but for now he's a 32-bit guy all the way up & down the line...  Remember, "Retro is cool!"

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 9th, 2013 14:00

Everything should be working fine. You can switch to 64 bit via clean install at any time if and when you see the need.

"Retro is cool" just don't go all the way back to Windows XP as its reaching End of Life soon.

No Events found!