Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2011 18:00

Windows 7 SP1 failing to install due to driver issue

Hi,

I tried to use Windows Update to install SP1 with no success. Troubleshooting page identified the following problem:

Check whether you have Intel integrated graphics driver Igdkmd32.sys or Igdkmd64.sys and whether you upgraded the driver

Windows 7 SP1 will not appear in Windows Update if update 2454826 is not installed. Windows Update will not offer you update KB2454826 if you are using one of the following Intel integrated graphics drivers:

• Igdkmd32.sys (32-bit), versions 8.15.10.2104 through 8.15.10.2141
  • Igdkmd64.sys (64-bit), versions 8.15.10.2104 through 8.15.10.2141

My Inspiron N7010 has the 64-bit version 8.15.10.2104 which is apparently preventing SP1 from installing.  I could not find any updated drivers on Dell's support page and Intel says to use the Dell drivers.  Any hope for a solution?

Thanks,

Dennis

904 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 19:00

Hi Dennis

As stated above the Intel Driver must be updated.

Remove the existing installation of the Intel driver from programs and features.

Install the latest one from Intel , the download file is listed below.

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 09:00

Telson,

Thanks, update worked fine after the driver change.

Why has Dell not added this driver to their driver page?  Would probably save a lot of people some time hunting down a solution to this problem.

Thanks again,

Dennis

904 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 09:00

It sure would dennis, however Intel releases updates regularly for their graphics cards. Hence we recommend getting the latest updates directly from them.

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 10:00

The Intel site says to go to the manufacture site when I checked there initially using their driver utility.  It sounds like I can just upgrade from their drivers when they are available and there should not be any compatibility issues.

Thanks,

Dennis

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 14:00

Hi.

When attempting to uninstall intel and reinstall new one... My pc says it doesn't meet the minimum requirements during install

of the new Intel driver you suggested.   I am using Inspirion 580 i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20 GHz.

What gives?!

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 17:00

The link he gave me above is the driver for my laptop Inspron Model N7010.  I am sure you would need a different driver for your desktop Inspiron Model 580.

There are several drivers listed for that model on the Dell support website.  If you do have the Intel graphics adapter, the driver listed by Dell is not within the range of drivers that cause Windows 7 SP1 not to install.

Good luck,

Dennis

2 Posts

February 24th, 2011 01:00

@Dennis -  That Intel driver is the correct driver I need for my System as well. =)

I got it working. My ATI Radeon Graphics card was conflicting and I couldn't get my

system to default to the Intel Driver that it came with. I had to manually pull my ATI card and

then delete the old driver to update the Intel Driver.  It worked. SP1 immediately showed up

in my Updates and I'm good to go.  Thanks anyway.

P.S Dell should really put new drivers on the Support Page for our PC's.  It's quite

frustrating that my drivers are outdated and I had to go through hoops to figure it out.

February 27th, 2011 06:00

By using the generic Intel driver instead of a Dell specific driver, will there be any compatibility issues?

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 23:00

I also wonder whether there will be any compatability issues, as the Intel site states not to use their generic driver and to contact the manufacturer (Dell) for the manufacturer's customized version.  Will Dell be upgrading their  graphics driver on their Dell N7010 soon, so that I can install SP1 for Windows 7 64-bit?  Thanks for any info, Lois  

904 Posts

March 24th, 2011 00:00

All

Intel Drivers will install fine without any issues, although like any other driver installation the older version must first be uninstalled from the system.

7 Posts

March 24th, 2011 04:00

window 7 sp1 even with HP's hardware is not compatible? Should not be, at most, it did not pass the signature

March 24th, 2011 05:00

I followed the advice of Telson A and am having no problems with the Intel driver.  I have a Dell N4010 with Windows.

March 24th, 2011 05:00

Oops.  Part of my previous post is missing.  I meant to say that I have a Dell N4010 with Windows 7 64 bit.

13 Posts

March 28th, 2011 11:00

Ditto - the file provided by the above link does not work on my 1564 either.... :(

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer."

I cannot install any new version from Intel.com as they refer to the manufacturer, and Dell.com don't have any!  The machine is barely over a year old.... :|

5 Posts

March 28th, 2011 20:00

When I contacted Dell Support (for my new 2-month old Dell laptop Inspiron N7010) regarding this issue and asking when they would release a new graphics driver to replace their version 8.15.10.2104, so that I would be able to download and install SP1 for Windows 7 64-bit, they transfered me to their Software Division.  The Dell Software representative immediately tried to sell me a one-year warranty for $239.00, stating the warranty I had was only for the hardware.  I explained I only needed the Dell version of this driver, so that I could be download and install SP1.  He simply stated I didn't need SP1 if my computer was working.  I'm very upset that Dell is not updating this driver or telling customers whether the Intel generic driver will work and not cause other problems, since Intel states Dell has customized their driver to work with features on their systems and to contact the manufacturer (Dell).  Dell should not expect me to pay an additional $239.00 to have this information, when I've already paid over $1,000 for this brand new computer that included  one-year customer support!!!      

No Events found!