Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2009 19:00

Windows 7 Upgrade Order Here's Some Answers (Update 10/29/09)

First, if you have not already read other post, Dell is now shipping Windows 7.

If you haven't received an e-mail about your order, then welcome to the club.  However, you can check the status of your order by going to https://win7.dell.com/Default.aspx  , then Log In & click on "Order Status", if you registered but did not confirmed your order you will need to do that first.

If you have status on your order & a tracking #, but clicking on the tracking # gives you a page that says "404 - File or Directory not found" , then copy your tracking # & paste it in the appropriate box at: http://www.ups-mi.net/packageID/default.aspx 

You should also note that just because you have a ship date, that does not mean that your update package will ship that day.  Some people are finding that they are getting their orders sooner than the Ship Date on their order status.

UPDATE 10/292009

If you have a USPS Delivery Confirmation Number on the UPS-MI site, you can copy it & go to www.usps.com & paste it in the Track & Confirm box & track your package in the USPS system.

If you are wondering what you get with your package, see joelkirzner's post here, he pretty good description of what he got & how his installation went.

99 Posts

October 27th, 2009 22:00

This also might help, if you have questions regarding your shipment.

As stated on the UPS-MI site:

Q. When will I receive my mail piece?

A. UPS Mail Innovations inducts your mail piece into the U.S. Postal Service within 48 hours of processing. The U.S. Postal Service will deliver the mail piece within 3-5 days on average.
Q. Why does the Post Office have my UPS Package?

A. UPS Mail Innovations participates in Postal work-share programs, which encourage the pick-up, processing and interim transportation of mail by companies with final delivery by domestic and international postal authorities.
Q. What is Delivery Confirmation? I haven't received my mail piece.

A. Delivery Confirmation does not necessarily mean that your package has been delivered. It is an additional tracking service provided by the United States Postal Service in order to see movement of your mail piece once it enters the U.S. Postal stream. The word "DELIVERED" will appear under the event name column once delivery has been made.
Q. What number do I use to track my mail piece?

A. You can use the Package ID, Tracking number, or Delivery Confirmation Number.
Q. Is a signature required by the receiver for delivery confirmation service?

A. No signature is required for delivery.
Q. Why is my tracking information unavailable?

A. UPS Mail Innovations requires 24 - 48 hours after the package has been shipped before tracking is available. If it has been more than 48 hours please Contact Us.
Q. What does Manifest (Postage Paid) mean?

A. This means the package was sorted by zip code with the postage paid and is currently being shipped to a Post Office involved in the final delivery of your mail piece.
Q. Can an address be changed after it enters the UPS-MI processing facility or USPS?

A. No. Federal law states once mailed, the address can not be changed. Customers should contact the shipper to update their address and discuss the status of their mail piece.
Q. I received a yellow slip from the P.O. What should I do?

A. Go to the Post Office to pick up the mail piece or call the # on the slip to arrange for delivery.
Q. How many attempts will the Post Office make before my package is returned?

A. Two.
Q. I received mail and it is not for my address. What should I do?

A.
-->
Q. What if the mail piece was damaged or the mailing address is incorrect?

A. Contact the shipper that sent the package. Return policies vary with every company. Some companies require the consumer to wait 21 days and some will ship right away, it is best for the consumer and the company to discuss returns.
Q. Can a customer insure their mail?

A. No. UPS Mail Innovations does not offer this service on Standard Mail.
Q. Why can't I see where my mail piece is in the USPS system?

A. Once a package enters the USPS system, tracking updates are only available for those mail pieces utilizing a postal confirmation of delivery service (Delivery Confirmation or Confirm).
Q. The tracking shows the mail piece was delivered, but I have not received it. What should I do?

A. Either the package was delivered to the wrong location or may be picked up by someone else in the building (assuming Apartments) or there could be other problems with delivery. Contact the sender to discuss the status of the mail piece.
Q. If a customer changes their address before the shipment reaches the USPS, will it be forwarded automatically?

A. In most cases no, unless the shipper has requested the mail piece be forwarded.
Q. Does UPS Mail Innovations deliver to a P.O.Box?

A. Yes.
Q. Why is the Postal Service tracking information out of order?

A. Sometimes the scans for the USPS come reversed, however you can simply look at the time that each event occurred to obtain the right order.

59 Posts

October 28th, 2009 08:00

Good info, thanks.  Bump to keep it towards the top.

59 Posts

October 28th, 2009 09:00

Then you get to wait patiently like the rest of us.  Many of us are in the same boat.  Once it actually ships you should get a tracking number.

2 Posts

October 28th, 2009 09:00

What if I have an estimated ship date, but no tracking number?

13 Posts

October 28th, 2009 10:00

I wish I had an estimated ship date.  I ordered mine on the 22nd and when I check my status, it is basically empty.  There is no status to speak of.  It only tells me when I ordered my copy and my order number.

1 Message

October 28th, 2009 11:00

In the same boat as you, ordered 22nd and order status page is virtually blank...no estimated ship date. Only order number and order date.:emotion-42:

1 Message

October 28th, 2009 12:00

I am in the same situation as well. After being referred to many different people at customer service I was finally told to fill out error form and ask for my password by email. What happened to award winning support?

S Beck

4 Posts

I registered my tag for my upgrade on 8/7/2009 and recieved an email saying something along the lines of ;" thanks for your interest in the windows 7 upgrade option. you will be notified when windows 7 is released".

I havent recieved anything since then. And from what i can tell is that you have to go back and log in to the upgrade site and confirm your order. Thats great, but the problem is that  the upgrade site will not let me log in. I've tried and tried and tried but it wont let me in. I clicked on the "forgot password"  on 9/13/09 and it sent me a generic password , which did not work.  I've tried customer support and tried calling but (like many) couldnt get any help and I (accidently I suppose) was hung up on after a 30-40 minute wait. I have again tried the "forgot password" option and it doesnt work ( and Im seeing that it doesnt work period froom what Ive read on the forums).

Who can I contact about this? To the Dell guys who roam the forums and reply to posts, please dont just copy and paste the generic URL link to something that doesnt answer my issue. All I want is to know how I can get this sorted out and recieve my upgrade as promised when I purchased my dell. Might I add, the windows 7 ugrade was one of the main selling points that got me to purchase my dell. If i knew the upgrade process would have been such an ordeal I would have waited to purchase my laptop or would have purchased a Mac.

So again, can someone contact me or lead me to an actual solution?

96 Posts

I'm in the same situation as Drewnbria, registered for the upgrade in August and have heard nothing since.  I also can't log on to the upgrade destination page.  Feeling really helpless.  I did the "contact us" form this morning and am hoping for some response.  Tried the 1-800 number but couldn't find anything useful in the few options offered.

16 Posts

October 28th, 2009 13:00

Same experience as some others - ordered a system, registered my tag, waited for an e-mail saying the upgrade was ready to order, and never got it.  Finally on Monday I went back to the web site and found out how to check my order status.  Lo and behold, my upgrade was there to order.  I e-mailed my sales rep about it and he basically said that the communication on his end has been "unclear" as well.  Oh well.

My order ship date is in December.  Glad to hear that isn't exactly accurate.

99 Posts

October 28th, 2009 15:00

frankphelps

Have you tried to contact one of the Dell guys here in the forum directly, either Jesse L or Chris M.  Some people seem to be getting somewhere by contacting them.

99 Posts

October 28th, 2009 15:00

For those of you that do not have a Shipping date or a Tracking # on your order status, I would keep checking back with the Windows Upgrade Program site.  I know from my own experience that the info there changes fairly often.  When I checked mine yesterday (on the 27th) there was no info., then I checked back about 10 min. later & I had my ship date & tracking #.

99 Posts

October 28th, 2009 16:00

If you are have troubles, don't feel alone.  I've been checking around on some other PC sites & found that some of the same problems that people are having here with their Windows 7 Upgrade, are going on with other PC manufactures (HP mainly).  On some of the PC manufactures sites there isn't even a Forum page that I could find, so at least feel luck that there's a community here to find some answers.

99 Posts

That's news to me, since mine is a 64bit & it has already shipped.

Sooo,  It sounds like your a PC guy & the "would have purchased a Mac" was just a rant.  I understand, but don't get frustrated, besides I've been using Vista 64bit SP2 for over 2 months now for my "Home Business" & a don't have any complaints really, except for problems putting my computer to "Sleep".  As long as you don't do that though Vista's not as bad a some have made it out to be.  Just keep your head up, & have a little patience, after all as I've told others, the upgrade wasn't supposed to ship out until Oct. 26 (that was just 2 days ago), & their are millions of upgrades being shipped out.

99 Posts

Drewnbrla wrote the following post at 10-28-2009 1:01 PM:

I registered my tag for my upgrade on 8/7/2009 and recieved an email saying something along the lines of ;" thanks for your interest in the windows 7 upgrade option. you will be notified when windows 7 is released".

I havent recieved anything since then. And from what i can tell is that you have to go back and log in to the upgrade site and confirm your order. Thats great, but the problem is that  the upgrade site will not let me log in. I've tried and tried and tried but it wont let me in. I clicked on the "forgot password"  on 9/13/09 and it sent me a generic password , which did not work.  I've tried customer support and tried calling but (like many) couldnt get any help and I (accidently I suppose) was hung up on after a 30-40 minute wait. I have again tried the "forgot password" option and it doesnt work ( and Im seeing that it doesnt work period froom what Ive read on the forums).

Who can I contact about this? To the Dell guys who roam the forums and reply to posts, please dont just copy and paste the generic URL link to something that doesnt answer my issue. All I want is to know how I can get this sorted out and recieve my upgrade as promised when I purchased my dell. Might I add, the windows 7 ugrade was one of the main selling points that got me to purchase my dell. If i knew the upgrade process would have been such an ordeal I would have waited to purchase my laptop or would have purchased a Mac.

So again, can someone contact me or lead me to an actual solution?

Have you tried to contact the Dell guys directly?  Why would you have bought a Mac if you want Windows 7????
No Events found!