Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2009 13:00

Windows 7 Upgrade Problems

I enter my information and it says I am eligible. I click continue. Then the box doesn't go away and it doesn't load. I can't click anything except continue. I click continue. The screen says "An error has occured". I called tech support. I called Dell and they said that is a typical problem and that they can't fix it. This happened many times. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

I waited one week. On google chrome I get to the "enter your language and 64 or 32 bit" section. On IE I can't even get to that screen. I tried turning off popups. For Google Chrome after I enter the information the screen goes blank. For IE it says "an error occured". I called Dell and they said that is a typical problem and that they can't fix it.

I have a Dell Inspiron 546s purchased September 26th. I would REALLY like to have Windows 7 as soon as possible. Thanks for your help.

3 Posts

October 21st, 2009 20:00

I had the EXACT same problem! I had to call up Dell and they set up the account for me. They made a makeshift password that I changed afterwards.
I believe it wasn't Technical Support, but more like Customer Care or something like that . Hope this helps!

27 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 19:00

How did you get them to not hang up the phone?

• 

16.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2009 06:00

Kyle Hermann,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

They are having some server issues. The problem should be resolved today.

12 Posts

October 25th, 2009 15:00

hi

i am just wondering if anyone has act got past the service tag prob on the upgrade forms yet???

im livin in ireland an i can not register for the upgrade:emotion-6:...

thanks for your help

simon

12 Posts

hey

noway lucky u eh:)

were u from im in ireland and still can't complete it:(

did it jus work 4 u or did dell help u out?

11 Posts

Hello

I was finally able to complete the upgrade request yesterday. :emotion-21:

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

October 28th, 2009 13:00

I can't get the system to send me a new password no matter how hard I try!!

What does it take to get Dell to help out???

• 

16.7K Posts

October 28th, 2009 14:00

originalsnuffy,

You can call customer service in the US at 1-800-624-9897 or click the title below and fill out the form.

Contact Us

184 Posts

originalsnuffy,

Thank you for contacting the Dell Community Forum.  If you're having problems logging in to the update site, I would suggest contacting Dell Customer Care at (800) 624-9897.  They should be able to help you complete the registration process and get signed up for your upgrade.

13 Posts

No offense, I found out last week that the Dell Customer service line at that number is a JOKE!  Very unhelpful, they keep transferring you until somebody finally hangs up. 

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

October 29th, 2009 14:00

This is so painful.  I have called this line some many times, and go nowhere.  All I need is a password reset or a new password.

The web site is broken.  Nobody at Dell responds to emails.  I keep getting transferred all over Dell by phone.  This is way too hard to do something easy.

99 Posts

October 29th, 2009 15:00

I had the same problem, not with Dell, but another company.  My solution was when I got someone on the phone, is to tell them that I wanted to talk to a Supervisor.  Then I let the Supervisor know my problem & that I was very unhappy (as a long time costumer) that I was getting the run around.  Needless to say my problem was resolved fairly quickly.

5 Posts

November 6th, 2009 08:00

This is so frustrating and has to be one of the worst customer experiences ever.

1. Password reset doesn't work - after 4 weeks someone still hasn't fixed it !! There is not even a text message on the front page letting you know

2. I am in Ireland so I have to call the US to get help !

3. Every call is at least 15 mins and you have less than 50% chance of getting to talk to someone

but here's the best bit

I got a response to my email giving me a new password over email but not only that it was someone elses account details and password and I was able to login to someone else account ! No response to me letting them know. Scary stuff.

If someone from Dell is reading this can they please let me know how I can get my Windows 7 upgrade please. It would be much appreciated !!

paul

5 Posts

November 6th, 2009 09:00

So I got through to Dell in the US and got to speak to someone.

Now it seems I no longer own the service tag that is sitting on the back of the Hybrid 140g that is sitting in front of me (beside the physical invoice) ! The girl was so confused that she decided that hanging up on me would be the best course of action. 36 mins on the phone and going backwards....

HELP someone at Dell.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 6th, 2009 09:00

paulo61,

I sent you a private message requesting information. Please reply so that I can see what is going on with your system information in our database.

No Events found!