Highlighted
Tijl_V
1 Copper

Windows 7 damages the MBR

Jump to solution

I´ve got a brand new Studio XPS 7100 with Windows 7 Home premium, but whenever I shut down Windows, I can no longer boot the machine again. (The bios says "module not found")

To get Windows running again, I installed Grub as bootloader using a Linux boot disk. That works. Windows boots fine with grub, but each time I shut down Windows, the bootloader is gone again and needs to be reinstalled before I can boot again...

The problem started Thursday (the first day I owned the machine) and occured for the first time after I activated bluetooth. I tried to connect my PC to my Nokia N900 which imediatly resulted in a system crash with a blue screen. After installing a boot loader, I could boot again, but got a blue screen with some message related to some driver (the message dissapeared too fast to read it). So I booted in safe mode, went back to a recovery point and now Windows works fine again, but everytime I shut Windows down, I need to reinstall the bootloader before I can boot the PC again, which is of course un unworkable situation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
msgale
5 Tungsten

Re: Windows 7 damages the MBR

Jump to solution

I believe that the message "no module name found Aborted. Press any key to exit." is a Grub message not a BIOS message.  Did this problem happen the first time you started the system, or a short time later?  Did the problem start only after installing the Nokia software?  Did you attempt to make your PC dual boot?

I would follow Fireberd’s advice “My first suggestion would be to reinstall using the Dell PC Restore (F8 at power on).

5 Replies
Tijl_V
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The Bios error message I posted wasn't accurate. This is the exact message I get from the bios every time I try to boot the PC again after shutting down Windows:

no module name found
Aborted. Press any key to exit.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

With a new PC, it's best to call Dell support.  We are users helping users on here, not Dell employees.

My first suggestion would be to reinstall using the Dell PC Restore (F8 at power on).  That is probably what Dell is going to have you do as a first step so you may as well do it. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

In addition to Firebird's sound advice, make sure you don't have any external devices connected, including bluetooth.  Check the BIOS, Boot Order/Sequence and set the hard drive to be the first boot device. 

0 Kudos
msgale
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

I believe that the message "no module name found Aborted. Press any key to exit." is a Grub message not a BIOS message.  Did this problem happen the first time you started the system, or a short time later?  Did the problem start only after installing the Nokia software?  Did you attempt to make your PC dual boot?

I would follow Fireberd’s advice “My first suggestion would be to reinstall using the Dell PC Restore (F8 at power on).

Tijl_V
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Thanks guys! I tried to contact Dell support before posting here, but their website doesn't work (I need to go through a system scan before I can send them a message, but that system scan is "temporarily unavailable" on the European support site). Because of the crash, I assumed the boot issue was bluetooth-related. But they are 2 different things and msgale is right: the error message is a grub error. Apparently, the Dell DataSafe software interferes with Grub. The suggested solution on the Ubuntu forums is to remove DataSafe. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=a6c2a84c927109b5eee7690af3014b10&t=1343851&page=4
Tags (3)
0 Kudos