Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2015 19:00

Windows 7 installation disk

I have been searching for a link to download the windows 7 iso to create an installation disk.

I have not been successful so far.

Inspiron 660

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 27th, 2015 04:00

The problem is that Microsoft broke the Digital Distribution of Windows 7 and replaced it with the non-functional Microsoft Software Recovery Tool. There is no means of downloading a .iso for the Dell Windows 7 OEM license.

If you have working factory settings you can create Recovery Media using Dell Backup and Recovery as demonstrated here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery/

Factory settings aren't equivalent to a clean install but when Windows 10 is out in late summer (which is a free upgrade for Windows 7 users) a .iso should be provided for clean installation.

Otherwise as you are in the US. If your system is in warranty you may procure installation media from Dell going to:

www.dell.com/recoverymedia

Unfortunately most Windows 7 systems will have expired warranty and Dell are making it difficult to procure installation media simply because of Microsoft's policies.

4 Posts

March 28th, 2015 09:00

Thank you for the thorough explanation...at least now I know. 

• 

16.7K Posts

March 26th, 2015 05:00

JohnT54,

You can click the links below for possible Windows 7 iso downloads.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/where-can-i-download-windows-7-iso-i-have-a/7d964b05-2be9-4800-bc7f-3ca30356fc3d

The link below is Dell Rockstar Natakuc's website with lots of great information.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

4 Posts

March 26th, 2015 16:00

Thanks for the reply.

The link no longer has the information there but does provide another link to a page for software recovery.

www.microsoft.com/.../software-recovery

I had previously tried this site and after entering my license I was instructed to contact Dell.

So here I am in a loop.  No help from Dell.  No help from Microsoft.

Inspiron 660

Win 7 64x

4 Posts

March 26th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for the reply.

The link no longer has the information there but does provide another link to a page for software recovery.

www.microsoft.com/.../software-recovery

I had previously tried this site and after entering my license I was instructed to contact Dell.

So here I am in a loop.  No help from Dell.  No help from Microsoft.

Inspiron 660

Win 7 64x

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 28th, 2015 12:00

Glad it helped. :)

2 Posts

March 28th, 2015 14:00

There are several ways to put windows 7 on a strange machine but you have to have a boot disk that matches the ISO Ver. but you have to do a good search for the right 'ISO' that has a phone activation protocall 

I Have a Inspiron 560 and I found a way to re install windows 7 home pre and activate with my cell phone     Good Luck

No Events found!